Hex drag insert system for Senator 114H and 115.

Started by trond_solem, February 22, 2015, 10:01:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trond_solem

Quote from: Alto Mare on February 23, 2015, 11:17:14 AM
I didn't find anything on inserts there. It was mentioned, but no image of a insert anywhere.
The thread discusses hex gears. I have read that before, but I am talking about using inserts in stock steel gears to make it possible to use hex drags.

Here are a tool for cutting hex drag washers.

Sorry Trond, I gave you the wrong link.
That custom hex washer cutter looks interesting to me, could you tell me some more about it?
Does it work by applying pressure or hitting it?

Sal
[/quote]

It can be used in a press or just hitting it with a mallet.
The ID cutter is a separate punch that is inserted in the centering hole after cutting the OD.
It can also be used in a press, but it is a lot easyer to just use a mallet.
I am going to add some kind of handle to lift the cutting block from the frame. I may also add a couple of holes in the bottom to aid pushing the cut carbontex washer out of the cutter.

This can also be modified to use a cutter and die to cut the multitooth carbontex washers.

Anyway, with a cutter like this, that can cut hex washers to fit exactly into the insert, they will be a lot stronger than hex washers that doesn't fit exactly. It's just like using the correct spanner on a nut instead of using one that is a bit too big. The latter one will round off the nut, but the correct one will loosen the nut as it should.

The system with multitooth washers will have the same problem if the washers doesn't fit exactly into the insert. They will hold up to more force, but if there is any sloop, they will eventually break and round off. It's all about correct fitment.

trond_solem

Quote from: Keta on February 23, 2015, 07:22:08 AM
It's been talked about here many times and about 30 are in reels now.  60, 500, 113H and 114H size gears.  Adam's design is the way to go though.

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=6967.0

Found the corect thread after a bit of searching.
Great idea with the multitooth carbontex washers.

trond_solem

Quote from: Bryan Young on February 23, 2015, 07:29:50 AM
Hey, be nice Daron.

Trond is just trying to help...especially members in Europe that don't have easy access to the stuff we have here in the USA.

The shipping cost from US to europe can be a real dealbreaker. A drag kit at a reasonable cost in the US is twice the price or more before it arrives in my mailbox.

trond_solem

Quote from: hultis on February 23, 2015, 07:49:17 AM
Keep the ideas coming, Trond! I live on the same side of the pond as you and I would love a supplier of cool Penn upgrades around the corner. I'll be going to Norway to fish this fall, btw.

Sorry for hijacking the thread.

/Christian

I am trying to do my best. The fact the some isn't interested at all, doesn't bother me. It'ss their problem.
It is a problem to get upgrades and alu-frames over here, so I try to make it possible to get nice stuff here too. Exporting to the US isn't going to happen since the shipping cost (again) makes it impossible.

DaBigOno

Quote from: trond_solem on February 23, 2015, 01:49:36 PM
I am trying to do my best. The fact the some isn't interested at all, doesn't bother me. It'ss their problem.
It is a problem to get upgrades and alu-frames over here, so I try to make it possible to get nice stuff here too. Exporting to the US isn't going to happen since the shipping cost (again) makes it impossible.

Keeping pushing trond, we're rooting for you too!!
Ua Mau ke Ea o ka Aina i ka Pono

Shark Hunter

Quote from: Bryan Young on February 23, 2015, 07:29:50 AM
Hey, be nice Daron.

Trond is just trying to help...especially members in Europe that don't have easy access to the stuff we have here in the USA.
I just wanted to see more pictures of inserts Bryan. These have come a long way. I'm sure someone has something we haven't seen before.
Life is Good!

trond_solem

A cutter for multitooth drag washers can be made this way.

trond_solem

Cutting process.
Before cutting,
After first cut and
after center cut.

Bryan Young

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

trond_solem

Quote from: Bryan Young on February 23, 2015, 08:25:56 PM
That's neat.

It is possible to make the frame as a die holde and make replaceable punches and inserts for cutting different drag washers. That will make it even more useable.
Since laser or warer cutting isn't 100% accurate, I think ths tool set has to be CNC cut to get the precicion required. The cutting punch must fit exactly into the cutting die when guided by the frame. If it is off to one side, it will hit the cutting die and on the opposite side, it won't cut as it should.
A hex cutter is easier to fit than this multitooth cutter. A hex cutter can be made with a slightly oversize punch and a slightly undersize die, and likewise a very tight fitting frame and punch holder. Some elbowgrease and a file will make the parts fit exactly as they should. Well, I am not going to make a multitooth drag washer cutter. I might make a hex washer cutter, hex inserts and keyed metal washers to fit some reels.
BTW, I have made hex inserts for the #49 reel and the #49/349 hybrid. The #49 reel has 24lb max useable drag and the 49/349 hybrid has 34lb max useable drag.
That's a lot more than original and enough for those reels. No rounding of drag washers at all.