Hex drag insert system for Senator 114H and 115.

Started by trond_solem, February 22, 2015, 10:01:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trond_solem

How about a hex insert drag system for the 114H and 115 reels?

7 hex carbontex washers in the system and a belleville washer on top.
How much drag this will produce is unknown, but probably far more than we need. About 65lb?

It will fit into reels with outside accessible drags.
Cost? Don't know yet. I can make a die and punch that cuts carbontex to correct form and size in two steps. One for the outer hex, and a second step for the center hole without removing the cut hex washer from the die.

Any thoughts about this?

Robert Janssen

I thought someone was making these already. Sal sent me a set a while back.

Edit: oh, sorry-- now i get it. Thats the same as the original idea that kicked off the whole thing. I dunno if anybody is making those currently, but some were in the works not too long ago.

Shark Hunter

We have Hex Gears which can produce 50lbs of drag with only 4 Carbon Fiber washers. Those were from Black Pearl. Adam is making us some inserts based on the Baja drags which are quite impressive.
Sal has already tested these in a 113H. The 114H inserts are in the works.
Adam is the guy to get this done! ;)
Life is Good!

trond_solem

Quote from: Shark Hunter on February 22, 2015, 10:53:02 PM
We have Hex Gears which can produce 50lbs of drag with only 4 Carbon Fiber washers. Those were from Black Pearl. Adam is making us some inserts based on the Baja drags which are quite impressive.
Sal has already tested these in a 113H. The 114H inserts are in the works.
Adam is the guy to get this done! ;)

4 carbon fiber washers is probably enough. The 7 washer version is for those who can't get enough drag anyway. :-)

It's is just an idea that sprung into my mind. The number of washers is what fits into the maximum thickness insert I can make.
I don't know if I am going to make this, but I won't start up a big production anyway.
If anyone wants to have a go at it, I can supply cad files for them.

Keta

My materials are limited and the 114H inserts I cut where not full depth, the 113H were.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Alto Mare

Trond, thanks for posting your ideas, but this was already started almost 2 years ago. I do understand that things are not always easy to find, but at the moment it isn't our fault, we are still experimenting and improving. One day, the dust will settle, but that might be when I'm gone ;D
Here is the thread, grab a cup of coffee, it's a long one:
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=7710.msg66164#msg66164
By the way, I should be getting Adam's inserts for testing any day now, those should be the best to date.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

BMITCH

Quote from: Alto Mare on February 22, 2015, 11:48:22 PM
Trond, thanks for posting your ideas, but this was already started almost 2 years ago. I do understand that things are not always easy to find, but at the moment it isn't our fault, we are still experimenting and improving. One day, the dust will settle, but that might be when I'm gone ;D
By the way, I should be getting Adam's inserts for testing any day now, those should be the best to date.
Sal

Sal, I got three 6/0's a waitin on those inserts. Judging from Adams past efforts I don't think it will be anything less than a home run!! So stop shoveling snow and get back to testing ;)
luck is the residue of design.

trond_solem

Quote from: Alto Mare on February 22, 2015, 11:48:22 PM
Sal

I didn't find anything on inserts there. It was mentioned, but no image of a insert anywhere.
The thread discusses hex gears. I have read that before, but I am talking about using inserts in stock steel gears to make it possible to use hex drags.

Here are a tool for cutting hex drag washers.

Keta

It's been talked about here many times and about 30 are in reels now.  60, 500, 113H and 114H size gears.  Adam's design is the way to go though.

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=6967.0

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

Bryan Young

Hey, be nice Daron.

Trond is just trying to help...especially members in Europe that don't have easy access to the stuff we have here in the USA.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

hultis

Keep the ideas coming, Trond! I live on the same side of the pond as you and I would love a supplier of cool Penn upgrades around the corner. I'll be going to Norway to fish this fall, btw.

Sorry for hijacking the thread.

/Christian

Alto Mare

I didn't find anything on inserts there. It was mentioned, but no image of a insert anywhere.
The thread discusses hex gears. I have read that before, but I am talking about using inserts in stock steel gears to make it possible to use hex drags.

Here are a tool for cutting hex drag washers.

[/quote]
Sorry Trond, I gave you the wrong link.
That custom hex washer cutter looks interesting to me, could you tell me some more about it?
Does it work by applying pressure or hitting it?

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

fIsHsTiiCkS

I do like how it cuts the od and id at the same time