Squidder repair problem

Started by rdmiller, February 23, 2015, 01:15:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rdmiller

Hey Y'all,
I bought this 140 squidder, with a tiburon frame from a guy in the valley. It arrived with the shipping box all squnched, somehow Mr.Postman had broken the right side end cover, the little housing around the gears had completely broken. Admittedly, i could have sent it back to the guy for a refund, he did offer unconditionally. I wanted to work on one on these beauties.
Anyway, I found a new side cover, got it all installed, it all works OK, except for one thing. The freespool is fairly tight, does not spin long and freely as I've seen on other Squidders. If I loosen by about a turn all four screws holding the bridge, it spins nice and freely. Of course I don't want to leave these loose for fishing.
I notice, when the four bridge screws are all tight, the retrieve/freespool lever won't move back all the way to freespool, it stops about 1/4" short of clicking into freespool.And of course, the spool won't truly freespool, like somethings dragging, sorta. 

Thoughts?
That's why they call it Fishing, not Catching.

foakes

Welcome, RD --

2 separate issues, possibly --

Not sure of your experience level -- so no offense intended -- but these things happen to all of us, regardless of our experience.

1)  Take the right side apart again -- check the drag stack, paying attention to make sure the ears on the metal   washers are seating properly.

2)  On the free spool issue -- check the eccentric spring to see if it is seated properly -- and it is  possibly sprung in a wrong direction, and needs replacement.

There may be another problem -- but these are likely first steps.

Let us know how you did -- and we are here to help, if necessary.

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Shark Hunter

If it was hot hard enough to destroy that plate. Your bridge might be a little out of whack too.
Just a guess. It looks nice.
Life is Good!

fIsHsTiiCkS

I agree with Fred, this sounds like it my be an issue with eccentric system. I would look more into that As in spring and adjusted properly.

DaBigOno

Aloha!   Welcome rdmiller

Quote from: foakes on February 23, 2015, 01:38:52 AM
1)  Take the right side apart again -- check the drag stack, paying attention to make sure the ears on the metal   washers are seating properly. 

x2

BTW, we love pics    :)
Ua Mau ke Ea o ka Aina i ka Pono