Monofil

Started by SoCalAngler, February 25, 2015, 05:27:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SoCalAngler

Is there any way to speed up my Monofil 27? This 3:1 is killing me. I see the 506HS are 5:1 but I don't think the bridge for those gears will fit into my reel. Will a 3-505 sleeve fit onto a 3-155 bridge? I'm I grasping at straws? Not having any of the goodies some of you have I'm not able to try to mix and match parts. Any help would be great.

Keta

Quote from: SoCalAngler on February 25, 2015, 05:27:50 AM
Will a 3-505 sleeve fit onto a 3-155 bridge?

Yes but the ratchet is smaller on the 3-155.  There is not enough room in the side plate for larger gears.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

SoCalAngler

Thanks Keta,
Maybe that should of been my first question, will bigger gears even fit? I should of known they woudn't, but for me sometimes it's hard to see the trees throught the forest.

Marcq

Get a handle with a short arm  ;)

Marc..

Ron Jones

Bryan has pointed out that a ProGear 251 is the same size spool with Jigmaster 5:1 gears. I don't know if you are in the market but I will certainly buy one of those some day.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Alto Mare

Quote from: SoCalAngler on February 25, 2015, 05:27:50 AM
Is there any way to speed up my Monofil 27? This 3:1 is killing me. I see the 506HS are 5:1 but I don't think the bridge for those gears will fit into my reel. Will a 3-505 sleeve fit onto a 3-155 bridge? I'm I grasping at straws? Not having any of the goodies some of you have I'm not able to try to mix and match parts. Any help would be great.
Mark, there might be a way to play around with the 13-9 pinion by filing and drilling, but I don't believe it would last very long.
If you're not concerned about matching parts and Black Pearl decides to offer us faster gears for the Squidder, you could then make it work by swapping the Monofil right side plate with the Serfmaster 100-150 or 200.
Just in case you wanted more drags, you could do that now.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

SoCalAngler

Thanks guys,

I think I'll jut leave it stock, steel gears and all. I did add carbontex drags and get around 9 lbs of drag, thats plenty of head room for the 15 lb test I fish on this reel.

The bluefin are already here about 100 miles off shore and 15 to 20 lb test is what is needed to land these line shy 20 to 30 lb fish. I have already been out twice for them and use a 525Mag for 15 and a SX for 20. I just thought it would be nice to land a BFT on the Monofil but with a 100 yard long or longer soaks with your bait and then the fish ripping off another 100 yards the 3:1 just wont cut it. I'll just keep the reel for bass, barracuda and bonito and leave the other tuna for other reels.

Keta

The 155 thread and this thread forced me to get a Monofil 25 to use some of the parts I've had laying around.   I now have a sweet Monofil 25N for inshore rockfish.  Next step is drag, gearsleeve and aluminum spool.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

SoCalAngler

I was lucky with my garage sale find, I payed $10 for the reel which had old line spooled to the top. When I took off the old line and opened it up for my service is when I saw it had steel gears and better yet a aluminum Newell spool. Sal was nice enough to send me some like new posts free of charge and I bought a reel foot from Scott's. Now the reel looks like the day it came out of the tackle shop.

I don't take it out often but when I do I match the 27 with the old Sabre I have when the bite is good. Many deckhands haved asked if they can try out the setup and I say sure but if they drop it overboard they have to jump in to get it before to sinks to depth. Many times I hear laugh's and giggles coming from the deckhands, even the young guys, when they hook and fight a fish on the old school setup.

The only other change I will do to this reel is get a little bigger handel for it. The small stock torpedo handel knob is just too small for my liking.

Keta

I put a red 3 position 24-55 on mine.

Mark Twain

SoCalAngler

Quote from: Keta on February 27, 2015, 04:20:54 AM
I put a red 3 position 24-55 on mine.

The 24-55 is one I was looking at as well as 24SN-310 or 24N-310. I like the look of the chromed blade 24N better but I like the feel of a football knob 24SN in my hand over the egro rubber knob.

I don't use heavy weight or deep drops with this reel but a bit longer handel like the ones we have mentioned will give me a little more torque. I know some here like pretty big handels for smaller reels on this site but for me I like to try to keep the reels handel in proportion to the reels size.

Edit: Rockfishing with 3:1 gears and tiny spools, man thats got to be some work.

Keta

We fish 30'-50' deep off of Brookings and Coos Bay for rockfish, blacks even shallower at times.  I've been using Surfmaster 100's for this the last few years and they work well.

Mark Twain