Delmar 285-65

Started by Mattman NZ, February 25, 2015, 09:28:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mattman NZ

Hi guys - I had a visitor on Saturday morning arrive with a box - He said I found these in his dads shed and all he wants is one reel that works for his son to use What ever left over is mine - in the box was two Delmar 285's and two long beach's - a 65 & 66 - honesty it looked like a bomb had gone off inside that box - two of the reels had been pulled apart at some stage and the other two wouldn't even turn over - Plates were in pretty good nick and all the handles looked all right too so I said i would give it ago.
After stripping everything I noticed the Delmar & long beach share the same parts and came up with a wider version of the 285 using the 65 stand, posts and a stainless steel spool which I had to do allot of cleaning and rust removal from the center part of the spool and fingers crossed and the head and tail plate of the 285.
Spool - I ground out most of the rust with a dremal then taped off the outer center area over the stainless edge and sand blasted the center part of the spool - then painted with rust kill and applied two clear glass coats to the affected area - then onto the lath to try and get some of the staining and the odd small pitting out - I started with 800grt and went up to 1000grt .
Dremal work...

After sand blasting-rust kill & glassing...

In the end I put the bigger handle 24-66 and Star 10-66 off the Long beach 66.
All in all everything came together and works sweet and can even get over one minute of free spool .

Next to a standard 285...

Most of the internal parts came out sweet - all the main gears and pinion's gear sleeves & bridge's are mint - more spare parts for future builds .    

Enjoy.
Matt...

foakes

Beautiful work, and great save on these old soldiers, Matt --

Thanks for showing us your skills.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

DaBigOno

Nice work Matt!  I like what you did to save the spool, I'm gonna have to use that
Ua Mau ke Ea o ka Aina i ka Pono

Keta

Nice.

The spool comes apart and the center piece of the spool can be made on a lathe.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

sharkman

Nice work. Is the glassing like epoxy?  From previous thread the reel you put together is the same as a Delmar 286.

harryk3616

Quote from: Keta on February 25, 2015, 02:57:03 PM
Nice.

The spool comes apart and the center piece of the spool can be made on a lathe.
lee    how does the spool come apart?

Bryan Young

I think it unscrews.  There is a hexagon head on both ends.  I never new that it could be taken apart though.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Mattman NZ

Quote from: Bryan Young on February 25, 2015, 06:31:06 PM
I think it unscrews.  There is a hexagon head on both ends.  I never knew that it could be taken apart though.
Thanks guys - yeh I saw the big hex nut on both ends of the spool but didn't have a socket big enough - so I guess the piece in the middle is or acts just  like a spacer ??

Bryan Young

That's what I think, but I have never taken one apart.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Keta

I'll try to dig to the bottom of my pile and see if I can find the one I have apart.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Mattman NZ

Quote from: sharkman on February 25, 2015, 05:17:39 PM
Nice work. Is the glassing like epoxy?  From previous thread the reel you put together is the same as a Delmar 286.
No-Its the same stuff I use for fiber glassing but just using the resin - I mixed up about one teaspoon and added three drops MEKP to kick start the reaction and painted on with a small paint brush - kept the reel spinning and ran a butane torch over it to get rid of any air bubbles and spent the next five minute's slowly turning the handle .
Thanks Keta I've never seen one broken apart before.

Shark Hunter

Awesome Work as usual Matt! ;)
Life is Good!

Bryan Young

Quote from: Mattman NZ on February 25, 2015, 08:36:44 PM
Quote from: sharkman on February 25, 2015, 05:17:39 PM
No-Its the same stuff I use for fiber glassing but just using the resin - I mixed up about one teaspoon and added three drops MEKP to kick start the reaction and painted on with a small paint brush - kept the reel spinning and ran a butane torch over it to get rid of any air bubbles and spent the next five minute's slowly turning the handle .
Thanks Keta I've never seen one broken apart before.

That's the same methods for finish coats on fishing rods.  :D

Keta

Still looking for my camera to take photos of the disassembled spool.

Mark Twain

bluefish69

Lee

There is a GOOD DEAL on EBay for Go Pro Cameras at $23 ea.

Mike     ;D
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.