501 Spool Issue

Started by CFish, February 26, 2015, 03:27:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CFish

Hey guys, my first post on this forum, tons of great info on this site, glad I found it.   My question is in regards to a 501 plastic spool (red) that I am having all types of issues with in getting to work with any penn jigmaster I've tried it with.  I have a true 501 with the black aluminum spool that I tried swapping the aforementioned plastic spool for and it just didn't match up when put back together...the reel wouldn't spin or Reel freely or smoothly and gave me the scraping sound as when a spool is rubbing against the side plates.   I also tried this spool on a 500 in which I converted to a 501 and again no such luck.   I did notice this spool is very slightly larger than the aluminum spools.   Has anyone dealt with this plastic spool in the past and anyone have a solution as to making this work on any 501???

Thanks in advance
Chris

txangler81

Welcome CFish. Have you tried loosening the left side spool bearing until there is some back and forth play in the plastic spool. Then tighten it back up until there is an extremely small amount of play still in it. The spool shaft could also have a slight bend in it.

alantani

welcome!!!  the aluminum spools work but the plastic one does not?  normally i'd switch to aluminum anyway.  plastic spools blow up. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Shark Hunter

Welcome CFish!
Aluminum spools are preferred if your going to fish this reel. Either your plastic spool is tweaked or it is not for a 501.
Life is Good!

doradoben

Your plastic spool probably has or has had monofilament line on it and has probably spread in the middle. If there is no line on it, does it have a small gap in the middle of the arbor?
If you have any other plastic spools that are undamaged, put braided line on them if you use them.
I agree with Alan & Shark Hunter. An aluminum spool is much better.

CFish

I've tried just about everything and still no luck with that spool.  I do agree that the aluminum spool is definitely the way to go and it looks like tracking one down will be my next move.  Only reason I was trying with this plastic spool was because I've had it laying it around for years along with a 500 I picked up that I thought I could convert to a 501 on the cheap.  Now I am really wondering if this spool that I bought at a local tackle shop many years ago wasn't for a different real, perhaps a narrow squidder maybe?

Keta

The Squidder spools have a much smaller OD and the clicker side is different.

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com" (image file fixed)
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Shark Hunter

My guess is that spool is just tweaked. I can't think of any penn that came with a narrow plastic spool that would fit that 501. the Surfmaster, Baymaster, Beachmaster, and squidder are too small.
the Long beaches are too big. There are so many different ones. A 99 maybe?
Life is Good!

fIsHsTiiCkS

bluefish69

A 99 is too wide. The 501 is the smallest JM
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

txangler81

Could it be a long beach 60 spool or 112 hn

Alto Mare

The tolerance on these reels is not the same. You are probably trying to fit that plastic spool on a Jigmaster with Black plates, if you try it on the Jigmaster with maroon plates, the earlier model, I'm sure it would work.
I always have issues when mixing older parts with new on most of my reels. I have new vintage 4/0 plates that can't fit the newer rings, I also have the older Surfmasters right side rings that won't work with the newer plates, can't get the thumb screw to line up,. Well I can, but needs some fine tuning.

On another note, why would you want to replace the aluminum spool with the plastic spool?
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

CFish

Unfortunately I did try this spool on a 501 with maroon plates and then I tried it on a 505 with black plates which I converted with a Tiburon 501 frame and still no luck.   My plan was to ultimately have two narrow spool reels in the end with one obviously being the original 501 (which came with the aluminum spool so no problems there) and then my converted 505 with the narrow Tiburon frame.  I figured the plastic 501 spool I had laying around would at least be compatible in one of these reels thus not requiring me to track down another 501 aluminum spool in hopes of saving a few bucks.  But as it stands now, I used my Tiburon frame on my maroon 501 with the original aluminum spool and what I have leftover is my stock 505 (thats as heavy as a brick) and a random what I thought to be 501 plastic spool that I've rendered pretty much useless.

doradoben

The spindle diameter of the 505/ 506 is different, so a 501 spool won't work.

CFish

Still doesn't explain why it doesnt fit on my regular 501 either though.