Penn 27 Bearings

Started by pompano joe, February 26, 2015, 04:42:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pompano joe

Can someone identify these for me?  Pulled them off a Penn Monofil 27.  The reel has Newell bars, foot and spool.  Did Newell make these, too?
Pompano Joe

foakes

Yes,

Carl Newell made those.

They worked very well on reels without bearings -- those with bushings, like Jigmasters, Long Beaches, Monofils, etc.

Just a drop of oil inside -- adjust the side to side and free play -- and they work great.

I have installed hundreds of those when Newellizing or 99ing a Jigmaster.

Who has some of these?

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

alantani

yup, newell bushings.  i still have a dozen or so.  if anyone wants them, let me know.  never did care for them that much.   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

foakes

I could use them, Alan --

Please let me know, so I can send some $$$.

Thanks,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

alantani

coming your way, no charge.  need your address again.

pompano joe

Thanks guys!  You never fail me!  To use or not to use...now, that's the question!
Pompano Joe

Porthos

I'll take two sets if that helps you clean out the garage... ;D

alantani

oh, crud, they're already off in the mail to fred. 

Porthos

foakes

Hi Porthos --

Alan gave them to me -- so I will share a couple of sets with you.

PM me your address.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

fIsHsTiiCkS

I have wondered if these make a noticeable difference compared to the stock ones with a little reelx in them. What do you guys think?

Bryan Young

Some people swear by them while others say there's no different.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

alantani

well, since i just gave them away, you probably know what i think.....  ;D

Alto Mare

Quote from: Bryan Young on February 27, 2015, 02:23:54 AM
Some people swear by them while others say there's no different.
You won't notice anything by spinning the spool by hand, but they do feel much better when casting. Those were going for $25 a set a couple of years back, I paid $19.99 for the one set I have.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

fIsHsTiiCkS

I take it that it's mostly about preference then! I might have to check a pair out.