Narrow Jigmaster get Hi Drag Numbers

Started by gstours, February 26, 2015, 05:26:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

floating doc

Really nice work! Good creative solution, and an excellent write up.
Central Florida

gstours

A few people seemed interested in how I made the hex insert. so a fer more pictures might give you more ideas or answers.

as previously stated, a strip of sst was bent around the pictured hex metric nut. the nut was undersize the inner dia, of the gear.

after fitting and epoxying it looks different, like a typical senator gear as stated above.

this is the drag stack assembled with a keyed fatwasher on top.

a slight bit of dremeling was needed to provide room for the bellville on top.  It fit in there rather nicely.  there is waay more drag available and makes this little reel a real sleeper. The drag seems very smooth too.  I will surely catch something someday and show you,all!!!!!!

Shark Hunter

Gary,
I Believe you. Take a good look at the third picture guys. Then you can see what Gary really did.
You do some really good work. ;)
Life is Good!

BMITCH

Gary, that awesome!! Now we need you to figure out how to get a 113H gear set into one of these little reels. That would pull your arms right outta their sockets :o ;D
luck is the residue of design.

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Bryan Young

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Mattman NZ

Crazy all right - and I like it - 2 thumbs up gstours. ;D

Alto Mare

Gary, I always enjoy and appreciate what you do, but since we're getting custom gears, I just don't see a need anymore, the new Jigmaster's gears will be just as the fathom, very hard to beat. Then we have Adam's inserts, also a very good upgrade.
If you want to proceed i'm ok with that, at this point, I just don't see the need, but i might be wrong.
Also,something similar was done about 2 years ago.
Irish Jigger used an hex nut and shaped a ss tube, it worked like a charm:
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=7564.msg64530#msg64530
Later buddy.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Rothmar2

That's some great resourceful thinking Gary. Good on you for posting this. While the option for upgraded gear sets is there, it's good that these home done mods are shown here.
These sort of mods don't just apply to Penn's. The basis of your technique can be applied to other reels for those that wish to take it on, and have the skills and tools.
Love the use of the nut to fold it out. Genius!

fIsHsTiiCkS

Quote from: Rothmar2 on March 06, 2015, 09:11:27 PM
That's some great resourceful thinking Gary. Good on you for posting this. While the option for upgraded gear sets is there, it's good that these home done mods are shown here.
These sort of mods don't just apply to Penn's. The basis of your technique can be applied to other reels for those that wish to take it on, and have the skills and tools.

Very true! A great reel to apply it to would be the 400-900 daiwa sealines!

Alto Mare

Quote from: Rothmar2 on March 06, 2015, 09:11:27 PM
Don't misunderstand my message Rothma2, as stated above I appreciate what Gary does, I just said that I don't believe there is a need for an hex insert especially on brass gears, but if you must, knock yourself out.
There are many options available today, I just don't see a need on the brass gears. A test by retreiving weight by turning the handle, or peeling the line out will give you different numbers, the brass gear will fail at way less than 30.
I'm always for exploring, I do a lot of it myself.
Sal

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Rothmar2

For sure Sal, I too can see the limitation of what Gary has done with respect to the brass gears.
It's a brilliant idea all them same. Got a few cogs turning in my head, especially with adding this to my 6/0 down the track. Seeing as the AUD has slumped against the Greenback recently, it now is making the aftermarket parts you guys in the US have access to, just too expensive for us out here in Aus.
Therefore seeing these ideas posted really helps.

Tightlines667

I would stick with a low gear ratio in stainless, (and a sleeve, etc..) if you want to push higher numbers safely.  Good stuff.  I really like the layout of the new ProChallenger set.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Alto Mare

Quote from: Rothmar2 on March 07, 2015, 01:01:57 AM
For sure Sal, I too can see the limitation of what Gary has done with respect to the brass gears.
It's a brilliant idea all them same. Got a few cogs turning in my head, especially with adding this to my 6/0 down the track. Seeing as the AUD has slumped against the Greenback recently, it now is making the aftermarket parts you guys in the US have access to, just too expensive for us out here in Aus.
Therefore seeing these ideas posted really helps.
I hear you Chris, yes the upgrades could get expensive for you guys, but from what I've seen coming from you side , I don't believe you guys would have any problems, especially you.
Nice that you're learning some stuff fro Gary and a few other guys here, at the same time, I'm learning a lot from you  ;).
Don't ever give up experimenting buddy.

Sal

Rothmar2

If I could get onto someone with CNC gear who isn't going charge an arm and leg to make quantities of parts, I would be keen to investigate producing aftermarket parts here.
But the other limiting thing is there just isn't the following for these older Penn's out here. Sure there are a few members here from Aus who appreciate what these older upgraded reels can offer, but we are in a tiny minority.
   Having said that, I will be looking into producing some SS rings for the jigmasters. I already have a few people over here that are keen for them. I'm not sure if any from the US will be willing to pay the outrageous freight charges to have anything I make sent over.
Will post details as soon as I have materials costs sorted. I might have engaged the services of a water cutter out here as well. Hoping to tee up a meeting in the next week or so.
Sorry this is starting to wander off topic.