50 lb reel

Started by Alans Buddy, February 28, 2015, 05:11:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alans Buddy

Hello all,

I'm looking for some recommendations for a 50 lb reel. There are so many choices with a wide range of associated prices. What do you look for in a reel in this line class. I'm thinking lever drag, 2 speed, dogs. What's difficult to assess is which reels have which features, double dogs, dog(s) + ARB, dual drag, sleeved and what do you need vs what is nice to have. I'm not going out to buy tomorrow but thinking down the road in case I get hooked by the upcoming June trip. Penn torque 30 or 40N LD2, Accurate Dauntless, Makaira 10ii SEa are a few that seem popular. I don't see myself going on multiple trips during a year, maybe 1 trip every other year. The one thing I don't want is equipment failure.

Thanks for your input!

Ben

johndtuttle

You really can't go wrong with a number of really fine reels available.

Accurate Dauntless
Avet HX Raptor
Okuma Makaira
Penn Torque
Penn 12 VSX
Shimano Talica

Nothing else worth considering or worrying about unless you are on a budget and then the whole can of worms is open.

Lighter and smoother, cannot surpass the Penn Torque. Pure toughness, Penn 12 VSX or Okuma Makaira. <<these last 2 will do true double duty as dropper loop reels but anything on the list is a very, very fine reel.

Alans Buddy

How about Fathom vs Torque?

johndtuttle

Quote from: Alans Buddy on February 28, 2015, 07:01:04 PM
How about Fathom vs Torque?

Fathom is going to be very, very good for the money. Just a touch of cost savings in a cast rather than machined frame and made overseas rather than in Philadelphia.

For once a year Long Range fishing a Fathom is a very reasonable choice. You only need a Torque if you really want the best of the best. You only need the VSX or Makaira if you really, really want to lean on the reel but you pay a weight penalty to carry it around all day.

MarkT

I'd get the Fathom 40N. I have a JX Raptor and an HX Raptor that I use for 50#. I've thought about getting the Fathom 40NLD2 but really don't need a 3rd reel for 50# unless I was to move the HX up to 60#.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Tightlines667

That is a good looking list, but I would also consider the FinNor Marquesa 2 speed.  Good, lightweight, reasonably priced reels that produce big drag numbers, at a reasonable price. I believe the new models come with 2 different cam options as well (similar to the Avets), depending if you like a more linear curve approaching strike.  These reels have aggressive post-strike drag curves. 
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Dominick

I don't know why you need a 2 speed in a 50lb reel.  My 50lb reel is a Penn International Torque 100.  The reel is small and built like a Mack Truck.  I'm opining.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Alans Buddy

How about feature wise?

At 50 lb test;

Do you need dogs and ARB or do most reels with dogs come with ARB? Gotta have dogs, yeah?

Do you need dual drags like the Dauntless?

Do you need machined vs cast?

Seems like what Alan et al do is what the Makaira SEa provides at only $20 over the non SEa, seems worth it.

Okumas seem feature rich for the price?

fIsHsTiiCkS

When it comes to 50lb reel being 2 speed vs single speed. I believe that is preference and type of fishing to be done. Anything above is a mandatory 2 speed, at least in my eyes.

SoCalAngler

Quote from: fIsHsTiiCkS on March 01, 2015, 01:12:44 AM
When it comes to 50lb reel being 2 speed vs single speed. I believe that is preference and type of fishing to be done. Anything above is a mandatory 2 speed, at least in my eyes.

I agree here also, you have to take in the type of fishing your doing but more importantly where. Dom for the most part your able to chase down a fish if needed with the type of fishing you do in Baja. On LR boats you don't have that luxury as others may be hooked up the same time as you or you may be on the hook at a alpha spot where your not going to move anyway.

The reels listed are right in the ballpark for what your looking for. What it will really boil down to is the yardage of line your looking to get on the reel and most importantly what feels right in YOUR hands. $50 or $100 either way in price won't hurt at all after you catch a fish or many fish of a lifetime on the reel you choose, but if you only choose something based on cost alone and your not fully happy with your choice, I bet sooner or later you will be upset with yourself and end up getting the reel you truely wanted in the first place. I'm not trying to say the less costly reels arn't what you should get I'm just saying if you really like something more thats a little more costly don't scrimp. Trust me been there and done that.

Edit: I should of also said one two speed reel will cover more applications than any one single speed reel can.

Bryan Young

Take the rod you have and go over to Alan's house or do it in the break room at work.  Alan has a 40N, makaira 10 and a few other reels you could try.

Personally, I would choose the 40N over the Makaira 10.  Both are great reels, but the 40N would be my choice especially if it came in the Makaira 10SEa color. 
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

MarkT

The 40n is basic black as is the current special edition Makaira Sea's. My Sea's are silver.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

johndtuttle

Quote from: Alans Buddy on February 28, 2015, 11:07:43 PM
How about feature wise?

At 50 lb test;

Do you need dogs and ARB or do most reels with dogs come with ARB? Gotta have dogs, yeah? Most reels in this class do not have ARB because they are not reliable at these drag settings. The gear train multiplies the stress on the ARB which is placed on the handle side. VERY different from how spinning reels do it.

Do you need dual drags like the Dauntless? No, but a Thrust Bearing like the Penn Torque or Maks is highly desirable.

Do you need machined vs cast? No, but it is stiffer which is better in the long run. Just like the frames in the VSX or the Mak. They are thicker (heavier) and stiffer. You just have to carry them around...

Seems like what Alan et al do is what the Makaira SEa provides at only $20 over the non SEa, seems worth it. Totally agree.

Okumas seem feature rich for the price? Not necessarily when you compare apples to apples and they def are more complex to work on than other designs

Alans Buddy

Thanks John! I'm learning.

Thanks all!