113H Accurate build

Started by thorhammer, March 01, 2015, 07:50:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thorhammer

Guys, in short order I see here the most knowlegeable crowd of reel ho's (I saw this somewhere on the site, funny) I have come across....need a piece of advice and this has gotta be the best place....

A few years ago I came across a 113H Accurate conversion with original Area Rule T bar, the full size....FOR $20!! I guess the reason it was twenty bucks was that the cherry red had somehow faded to a light burgandy. I bought it anyway, it was functional and the handle worth twice that if I threw the reel away. But who here is gonna do that? NOBODY.....I swapped out the steel spool for aluminum I had left over from my first hot rod, 113 Accurate wide from almost 20 years back; didn't even know the term but though it was a great idea. When I did so, I saw corroision around the edge of one of yolk screw holes which had powdered the edges. The PO had packed it with red grease to retard water intrusion.

A word about that first build: a local store had some reels on sale, four for under $250 without boxes as they were displays in the case: 113HL (with AL spacers), 114HLW with the AL half frame, 114, and......990 Magpower....yes, I ran with all four. The 113HL became the Accurate Wide, the 114HLW got Accuplates, six-shooter handle and guts, and the other two are still shiny as-was.

I want to rebuild the powdered are with JB or equivilent; non-load bearing and not visible externally. I'd think I'd need to get it re-anodized first (Reel Colors is the intent) to avoid affecting the reaction. Anyone had anything anodized or done a repair like this? I'd love to refurbish this bt dont want to screw it up in the process. I'm gonna figure out how to post pics of this whole deal.