penn 501 spool

Started by txangler81, March 02, 2015, 07:04:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

txangler81

Is $40 to $45 for a used stock aluminum spool to much.

Bryan Young

I've seen them as low as $20 and as high as $50.  Being that they spools are no longer made, it's really how much you want the spool.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Marcq

Sometimes you're better off buying a complete reel and have extra parts

Marc..

speedwagon2

What is the width of the 501 spool? I think is the same width as a 322 Newell?

Bryan Young

Quote from: speedwagon2 on March 02, 2015, 06:35:41 PM
   What is the width of the 501 spool? I think is the same width as a 322 Newell?

I believe you are correct based on the spacer bars width.  The capacities are slightly different due to the sides and arbor of the spool have different dimensions.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Shark Hunter

Quote from: Marcq on March 02, 2015, 05:28:32 PM
Sometimes you're better off buying a complete reel and have extra parts

Marc..
You can usually pick up a whole reel for $60.
Life is Good!

speedwagon2

Bryan,
  So a Newell 322 width spool made for a 501 Jig Master replacement should fit my 259 Live Bait Caster, assuming the 501 Jig Master use bushings.  Did Penn make a 501 version, or are they all narrowed 500's using after market parts(Newell)?  Not trying to hijack the post, just trying to understand the various Penn models and relationships with after market sized reels.

Bryan Young

in comparison between the spools, I have no idea if the 322 spool fits in a 501.  My guess would be that if the 322 spool would fit any penn reel, it would be a 506 due to the bearings, but I cannot say for certain because I just never though of comparing the interchangeability of the two spools.  Sorry.

All I know is the Penn 501, 506 and Newell 220 and 322 use the same length cross bars.  Sorry I cannot help further.

speedwagon2

Thanks Bryan,
    My guess is that if Newell made a kit with a replacement spool for a 500 to narrow it to 501, that spool would have the proper shaft for bushings.   I am going to ask the question with some Newell people.
     Thanks again, Dave Babcock

Bryan Young

Hi Dave,

I know Newell made spools for Penn 500 and 501s, but I'm not sure if they also fit the 344 or 322.

Bryan

bluefish69

Those are 2 different animals. They is about an inch difference between them.

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

eguinn

The Penn 506 spool & the Newell 322 spool, are 2 different animals, they will not interchange, the shaft on the Penn 506 spool is longer than the Newell 322 shaft by about .030 of a inch. They should be used in reels that have ball bearings. The Newell 501 spool & the Penn 501 aluminum spool are both the same size spools, same diameters, shafts etc, both will work in any Penn reel that uses bushings. You can put a Newell or Penn spool 501 in a Newell reel or Newell 300c sideplates, but you will have to use spacers to get the spool to center up properly, if you use a Newell 322 spool in a Newell reel or Newell 300c sideplates they will work fine & you don't need to use any shims. I guess what I'm trying to say is you will have to look real close at the Newell 501 spool & the Newell 322 spool, they look the same but they are not, the shaft on the Newell 322 spool is longer than the Newell 501 shaft. So what you have is 3 different size spools that look very much alike but yet they are different. To answer your original question use a Penn 501 0r Newell 501 spool in you 259 reel.