Looking for some input and ideas AVET SX 5.3

Started by Fishermans Paradise, November 21, 2010, 02:54:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fishermans Paradise

I have a few of these reels, for the type of fishing i use them for, they are perfect.  Here is my problem, my newest addition to the collection, after my customary open it up, repack the bearings, oil the spool bearings, paint the internals with evinrude triple guard, apply light coat of cals to the drag, wipe off the excess, etc etc etc, the reel max's out at 6.5 lbs of drag.  Belleville config is stock ()(), no parts left over after reassembly, checked double checked and triple checked schematic.  All parts accounted for and in place.  My other sx's have no problem hitting 9+ lbs at max.  Season is over for me and I am not in a rush, but this has been bugging me.  Taken apart more of these than i can count, first time I have ever had this issue.  So I humbly come to the professionals.  Any Ideas or suggestions for me folks?

Lee

Norcal Pescador

Could the line be slipping on the spool? This happens mostly with braided line.
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

Fishermans Paradise

I did have the same thought initially even though i have a solid backing behind the braid, dumped the braid just to rule it out and it is now strait 30# mono until i figure out this problem, one item i failed to mention in my first post.  The adjustment on the lever drag almost seems to bottom out which made me think i was missing a washer or spacer.  All my other avet reels, if i max out the drag, ie. over tighten it, the lever becomes difficult to move past the strike position.  This reel however, with the adjustment tightened all the way, I can push the lever right past strike without a problem.

Norcal Pescador

Have you tried arranging the bellevues )()(? It may not be any different than ()() but who knows?
Hopefully one of the real reel gurus have more expertise on this one.
Rob

kamuwela

i have'nt worked  on an avet yet but it sounds like a cam fliping over. try removing handle if it has a square shaft. try backing off 90` and replace the handle.

Norcal Pescador

Quote from: norcal pescador on November 21, 2010, 04:49:48 AM
Have you tried arranging the bellevues )()(? It may not be any different than ()() but who knows?
Hopefully one of the real reel gurus have more expertise on this one.
Could the drag handle have been moved from its original position when it came off the reel?
Rob

Fishermans Paradise

just did a comparison to a known 9+ lb sx, drag assembly is identical.  This is truly becoming a head scratcher for me

alantani

it's odd that this one reel is acting up.  a quick fix would be to add a belleville washer and change the configuration from ()() to (())).  if you send me a pm with your address i will drop an extra belleville into the mail.  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Fishermans Paradise

Thanks Alan, Hold onto your parts, you'll no doubt need em, I have extra bellevilles here, but i guess the OCD side of me wants to see it work the way its supposed to, lol.  I will give the washer idea a shot tonite and let you know how i make out

jimmy jones

i had the same problem on a mxl   and after trying eveyrthing   ordered new bellvilles and had max drag   good luck    jimmy

alantani

i've seen other reels that have done the same thing.  not sure why, but the fix is easy!

Fishermans Paradise

been fixing so many other reels, that avet is sitting quietly waiting for me to give it more attention, I have a new set of bevelles for it, once i put them in, hopefully this weekend, i will let you know if it made a difference

alantani

i put a call into tom (cortez conversions) to ask about getting an avet spool and side plate milled out.  i've been looking at avets and have been trying to improve their performance.  two thrust bearings would totally eliminate the side load issue.  a larger right spool bearing would greatly improve the freespool reliability.  first, i'll need to get some old spools and side plates from avet. 

Fishermans Paradise

Well it has been a long time since I created this post but I finally got the time to work on one of my own reels and after alot of head scratching and input from the folks on this site, my favorite little reel is now performing the way she should.  Long story short, there were two problems.  1st was wrong orientation of the belleville washers.  I had them installed ()().  Once I pulled them out and compared them to a new set I ordered from Avet, the original ones has much less curvature then the new ones.  I installed new washers (()) and at long last she maxed out at 11lbs of drag.  While I was at it, I installed some upgraded spool bearings, and a new pinion bearing from Boca and a new T-Bar handle from Dawn at Smooth Drag.  Many thanks to all for your ideas and input, so nice to have my favorite reel back in action.

wallacewt