Chasing marlin in New Zealand

Started by redsetta, March 03, 2015, 11:46:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

redsetta

G'day all,
Spent the past few days out in the South Pacific off New Zealand's North Island, hoping to get some beakies in the gear.
Snapped off a few pics on the phone and thought you might like a look.
Day one dawned bright and clear...

Sunrise was a stunner.

Passing the last island about 60 miles out and heading out to sea.

Into open water now - such a cracker day!

Skippies and albacore everywhere.
We had four marlin rigs out and two for tuna which were hooking up throughout the day.
Picked up a mahi mahi too, which was a nice surprise.

We deep-dropped that arvo into a few hundred metres for bass/hapuka, but ended up with a bunch of monster baracutta instead.
Day one finished up with a beaut sunset.

Day two kicked off with more skippies and albacore.

We had three hits by striped marlin, buzzing through the gear and swatting at the lures, but none hooked up.
And then...

This was a beast Black - around 10ft and 3ft from back to belly, which puts it 300kg+ (getting up towards 700lb).

A truly mighty fish.
We had to pace it up to 25kts on the first run to stop him rounding the boat.
After about 1hr 40mins, we got the leader on the reel, Glenn held the trace and Ryan pushed the drag to sunset (16kg/35lb).
The big Black just swam away like it was nothing, so we backed off to a fight setting.
Repeated the process two, three, four... five times we had him to the back of the boat and on the leader.
He was too big to boat, so we were aiming to retrieve the hook and release.
But the next time we had him to the boat, he put in a big turn and rubbed through the wind-on leader with his tail, breaking off.
Disappointing to not get hold of him on the transom for the photo op, but effectively a 'landed fish' so everyone was happy.
Still, would've been better if he'd hit the 80W instead of the 50W  ;)

The fight path below. Bob's driving was exemplary - check the number of loops we had to do.

We're unlikely to see one again in our lifetimes as Blacks are very rare in NZ waters.

The day ended with a nice sunset.

Over the trip we saw Bridies whales, loads of penguins and pods of dolphins smashing schools of bait fish.
A massive sunfish jumped in front of the boat and passed close on our port side.
We also passed over a manta ray that was wider than the boat (ie more than 13ft across).
All in all, not a bad few days  ;)

Righto - all the best, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Dominick

Justin:  Thanks for taking us along on that fishing trip.  I really feel I was there without the queasy feeling all those turns would have given me.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

BMITCH

Justin, an epic day and a great fish tale. Love the pics and thanks for sharing with us.
Bob
luck is the residue of design.

Newell Nut

Nice pics and a wonderful trip. Thanks for sharing.

redsetta

Cheers lads - good to take yas along ;)

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

Capt Ahab

Beakies - I love that term

Thanks for a great report!

I have never caught (or seen) a Black Marlin - we get big Blue Marlin and lots of Whites here off Maryland / Virginia, USA - that black is a beast

Alto Mare

Quote from: redsetta on March 04, 2015, 12:55:12 AM
Cheers lads - good to take yas along ;)
Yes, cheers Justin, thanks for taking us along...very nice ;).
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

foakes

Thanks, Justin --

Great report.

Magnificent fish.

"Old Man and the Sea"

Any estimates/guesstimates on weight?

Glad he lived to fight another day...

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

redsetta

Thanks Sal and Darron.
Fred, the consensus was over 300kg or up near 700lb.
Capt, probably the only one I'll ever see!  ;)

MFB

Nice photo's, Bay of Islands?

Rgds

Mark

No man can lose what he never had.
                                                   Isaac Walton

Bryan Young

That a day dreams are made of. 

Thanks for sharing the trip Justin...now I can dream easier.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

mike1010

Great pictures.  Great story.  Thanks for sharing.

Mattman NZ

Thanks for sharing - cool pics mate and story .
Mattman.