Line rolle cleaning/polishing

Started by zerofish, March 04, 2015, 07:59:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zerofish

Hello everyone. I'm servicing my spinning reels for some years now and judging from the result I'm doing a decent job.

One thing that can't figure out how to deal with is the cleaning/polishing of the line roller. I'm talking about the outside part.

As I realize this part is made from brass or stainless steel.

How do I clean the dirt/salt from it? I tried some metal polishing compound, rubbing with toothpaste e.c.t but there are some small pars that can't be cleaned right.

It is very important for me because I use 8-10 lbs bs braids that are quite delicate.

Thank you in advance...

Tiddlerbasher

If corrosion has really set in and causing deep pitting you can only replace it. For general metal polishing work I use one of the Autosol/Dursol metal polishes and an old toothbrush.

Slazmo

Quote from: zerofish on March 04, 2015, 07:59:44 AMIt is very important for me because I use 8-10 lbs bs braids that are quite delicate.

Fingers crossed this is what your talking about (picture attached)?

Quiet important for us also as we mainly use 1lb to 6lb mainly.

I think line roller's are a thing where you should clean it and pay attention to it more often than not. Once they start pitting or start corroding its time to knock it on the head and get a new roller sleeve.

Otherwise pulling it all apart - recording its disassembly and getting a rag with soap suds and a tooth brush and scrubbing it clean.

Bryan Young

I have mounted the roller on my dremel to spin it and use 1000 grit wet sand paper to smooth the surface and needle files to remove and properly smooth out the corner of the groove...when all fails, replace.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

zerofish