Cleaning Drive Gear

Started by MudShark7, March 05, 2015, 06:42:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MudShark7

I have searched but cannot find the answer to this question.
How do you best clean the teeth in the Drive Gear and Pinion Gear - It looks like residue that the toothbrush won't flick out.
Also, there is obviously residue from the drag material or little black pits? that isn't coming off with normal cleaning by me.
I'm not sure the surface where the drags run is super important but wouldn't the bottoms of the drag teeth be?
Also, the gear teeth are not really smooth. I'm new to reel cleaning but it would seem to me that smoother teeth would mesh together nicer.
Can anybody shed light on this for me?

Ken ???
Remember! - You're Unique, Just like Everybody Else!

Bryan Young

I also use carb cleaner or soak in acetone and swirl around or place the bottle with the acetone and gear in an ultrasonic cleaner.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

MudShark7

Thanks, Bryan. Does that treatment easily remove all the drag residue and get all of the old grease out of the teeth without scrubbing by some means? The toothbrush seems to do nothing hahaha

Bryan Young

It does...sometimes...sometimes I think it's just stuck in there and nothing can get everything out.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

MudShark7

Shark Hunter

I use the brake clean and a toothbrush. A quick soak in coleman fuel will clean them right up too.
Life is Good!

alantani

a bunch of old toothpicks should do the trick. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Tightlines667

I have used different products on badly corroded gears, including an OSPHO-based gel, or light use of a softer brass brush or even light sanding with high grit emory cloth.  The trick is to avoid removing too much material, and to keep the surfaces evenly smooth.  Don't fuss with it too much.  As long as it holds grease and meshes cleanly, it will continue to function just fine, cosmetics don't count for function here.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

MudShark7

Good advice all-around - Thanks, Guys

Slazmo

Was going to suggest a engineers steel brush but Tightlines got into it for me.

Also a Dremel with the fine steel wire wheel head???

zerofish

Zippo fluid and toothbrush. Had no problem whatsoever.