Star for jigmaster

Started by BMITCH, March 05, 2015, 01:37:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keta

Gear sleeves are fixed length, change out your metal washers with thinner or thicker ones or toss the spring washer to adjust the stack height.

I prefer my drag just touching when the star is backed out all of the way.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

mike1010

Quote from: Keta on March 05, 2015, 05:41:33 PM
Gear sleeves are fixed length, change out your metal washers with thinner or thicker ones or toss the spring washer to adjust the stack height.

I prefer my drag just touching when the star is backed out all of the way.

You and Sal can debate the first point, as I am out of my depth.  I like just a little slack above the spacer.  A half turn on the star is fine.

trond_solem

Quote from: Keta on March 05, 2015, 05:31:37 PM
Think about it, a shorter spacer will not stick out of the sideplate but a longer one will, no matter how long the gear sleeve is.

Spacer Sleeve

Gear Sleeve

That depends on how thick the drag stack is. I have had problems with a tad too long spacer sleeve. The star would engage 2 threads before it hit the space sleeve and it would be tightened down real hard before the handle could be mounted correctly.
A shorter spacer sleeve solved the problem, but a longer gear sleeve would be a better choice.
It's easy to  compensate for a long gear sleeve with a washer or two, but a short gear sleeve is a pita.

fIsHsTiiCkS

The spacing issues with Penn reels is something that I have dealt with on almost every reel. I know that an extra 2mm would help, as it would eliminate the issue of not having enough room. With that said, I feel that it would create an issue of "too much space" that would have to filled with washers and such. If these were to become available it would have to be in addition to the ones already available. Just in my opinion

The only spacing issue I run into is after all the drag upgrades, the standard 12.5mm spacer is now to long/large to fit. With the rolling out of the 10.5mm and 11.5mm spacers, it has helped A LOT. I have even had to grind a spacer down to 9.5mm before. Now, I have never had the problem of a spacer being to short before and even with a 9.5mm spacer. With the option of the various sizes, I would just try one that will give you the desired range for you star and if it is an odd ball size, i.e 11mm would be better than a 11.5mm but the 10.5mm is to short. Then a little grinding can get you there. Sometimes just getting it to work is have the fun!

Alto Mare

An extra 2 mm and a tension spring under the star will cure all the problems. Penn should have never made the fixed  sleeve on the plate the same size as the bushing. I'm not just talking about fitting, I could make anything fit and so could anybody else, I'm talking about the star travel. The 112H has even less travel.

Here is why the 10-49 wouldn't work, the 113 has plenty of room left but the 501 is already hitting

Since we won't be able to make the jigmaster's bushing a little lower as the 113 , adding 2mm to the gear sleeve would cure it.
We would get away with it as is, but we would have a much better reel if the sleeve was a little taller, we're talking mm, it doesn't take much.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.