Long beach 60 frame closer to actualy getting produced.

Started by trond_solem, March 05, 2015, 03:28:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trond_solem

I just got a new quote for making the Long Beach 60 frame, foot and rod clamp.
I think I have to ask someone in the US to be a distributor for them there.
It is impossible to ship one by one from Norway to US for a reasonable cost.

In addition, there is no import tax on the frames to US, but to Norway there is 25% import tax.

I hope it is possible to sell them for $80.- including rod clamp.
The screws for the foot, rod clamp bolts, washers, nuts and rod clamp nuts are separate an may be included in the kit.
The rod clamp nuts are stock Penn long nuts for the thick nylon clamp. 10-24 threads?
the bolts are hex setscrews, dimension 10-24? Correct me if this is wrong.

There will be a possibillity of earning some money for the US distributor.

So how any of you are interested in getting a frame and who will be my US contact?

thorhammer

RowdyW

I'll get it started & I'll buy one to start with.      RUDY

trond_solem

Quote from: RowdyW on March 05, 2015, 05:30:43 PM
I'll get it started & I'll buy one to start with.      RUDY

That's one. Plus one for myself.
I need to sell 48 more to make it happen. :-)
Well, I don't need to sell all 48 of them in a day, but within a reasonable time.

No invoice will be sent before I know for sure they will be produced.

Newell Nut

That is some really nice work. I was just trying to imagine a LB66 narrowed like that. That would be awesome too.

trond_solem

Quote from: Newell Nut on March 05, 2015, 11:47:43 PM
That is some really nice work. I was just trying to imagine a LB66 narrowed like that. That would be awesome too.

I can make about every modification you can think of if you are prepared to pay for it. :-)
Spools can be made and frames can be made. If you want to take it to the extreme, side plates with space for larger/stronger gears can be made.
The problem is that only one or two persons want to buy that special item. This fact makes them incredible expensive.

I have managed to get the number of long beach 60 frames in a single production run down to 25 with a reasonable cost.
That's the minimum number to make it possible. That is the case for other parts also.

Newell Nut

I just know the 66 has a beefier drag system and would carry a little more line too. Even though I think it would be cool reel, I am the Newell Nut. I have some beautiful Sal special reels here and don't really need anymore Penn Toys.
Thanks
Dwight

sdlehr

What happened to this? I'm guessing there was not enough interest and Trond has a one-of-a-kind Longbeach....

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

trond_solem

Quote from: sdlehr on January 19, 2016, 02:10:06 PM
What happened to this? I'm guessing there was not enough interest and Trond has a one-of-a-kind Longbeach....

Sid

The main problem is the cost of getting them cut.
At the moment a new cnc workshop is looking at it.  I may have a prototype in a week or so. Cost?  Don't know yet.

mhc

Hi Trond,
If you can add a few more holes to the frame to suit the screw pattern of the 111 2/0 senators it might increase the interest a little. I'm not sure if it's possible, I believe they are the same diameter and width & the spools are interchangeable, but if any of the side plate or stand screw locations overlap, without lining up, it won't work. I don't have a 2/0 to check the screw spacing sorry.
Mike
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

RUSTY OLD COLT

I would be interested if it fits the 2/0 penn

Ron Jones

I agree that the frame should fit both the 60 and 2/0. It would be a total of 5 holes. I would be interested in this project s it is my favorite spool size. I'm not certain I could afford many. I really do hope this comes about.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

broschro

Will this fit the 65 LB? If so I would like one maybe more.

RowdyW

Quote from: broschro on March 05, 2016, 09:37:48 PM
Will this fit the 65 LB? If so I would like one maybe more.
Only if you use a LB 60 spool.

Ron Jones

If you use a 60 spool on 65 sideplates, isn't that a 60? I guess that is a phylisophical question concerning what identifies a reel. For me it is the spool, if I have a 500 with a 501 spool, it is a 501.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"