Mango Man Strikes Again

Started by Newell Nut, March 05, 2015, 11:42:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newell Nut

Well guys, the day started slow with my wife catching lots of redeyes/B-liners and a couple triggers. I only had a nice mutton on the stringer for most of the day. The last ten minutes I have a small live redeye sitting on the bottom and get a nice strike which turned out to be a nice mango. Just as we unhook it I hear Capt Al yell out cobia so I grabbed a live grunt and tossed that over and held it about 15 feet down. The Jackpot winning cobia struck and I did too. Got it in and my leader was all scraped up from the mango on the reef so I just cut everything off and put the rod in the rack. Then I notice my mahi rod sitting there with a squid on it so toss that over and strip out about 20 yds of line and a big hit that turned out to be a very nice mango.
I know you guys lover Big Mike "Mr Congeniality" being his natural self.

Shark Hunter

Looking Good Dwight! ;D
Mike is almost cracking a smile there.
Life is Good!

Tightlines667

Nice work.  Looks like fun, and just goes to show that its not over til its over.

BTW, sorry ai havn't gotten back to you about the HI trip, my eyes have been pretty messed up with a bad viesl infection the past 2 weeks.  Hopefully things will clear up within a week or so.  I'll get back at you then. 

Keep the pics coming.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Newell Nut

Get well soon John.

There is more to the story for today. Most of you guys saw the boat rod that I did the abalone inlay on. I got a really nice LB60 from Jason that I put on it and it was on the boat for the first time today. A lady had tied her towel by it and I told that the New Zealand abalone rod was a very lucky rod and she would do good today. She is thinking yeah right!! She caught a bonita, a cobia that was an inch too short, two red snappers and a shark. She has already planned another trip and I guarantee you she will be looking for that rod.

SacFly

Nice report, and thanks for the reminder that there are places where it hasn't been snowing for the last 7 hours....

BMITCH

Dwight you are TRUELY living the life. Nice catch! Thanks for the pictures of fish and nice weather.
luck is the residue of design.

Newell Nut

I have spent most of my life in hotels while working power plant projects and now I am living the dream trying to make up for lost time. I have a great arrangement with the boat owner and truly blessed to get in all the fishing that I am doing. These are indeed good times for an old guy.

Shark Hunter

You keep living that Dream Dwight. You've paid your dues Brother. Enjoy it! ;D
Life is Good!

Three se7ens

Quote from: SacFly on March 06, 2015, 12:13:56 AM
Nice report, and thanks for the reminder that there are places where it hasn't been snowing for the last 7 hours....

it was 88 degrees when I left work today :D

fIsHsTiiCkS

Quote from: Newell Nut on March 06, 2015, 12:12:34 AM
Get well soon John.

There is more to the story for today. Most of you guys saw the boat rod that I did the abalone inlay on. I got a really nice LB60 from Jason that I put on it and it was on the boat for the first time today. A lady had tied her towel by it and I told that the New Zealand abalone rod was a very lucky rod and she would do good today. She is thinking yeah right!! She caught a bonita, a cobia that was an inch too short, two red snappers and a shark. She has already planned another trip and I guarantee you she will be looking for that rod.

Great to hear you put the bad boy to good use!! I'm glad it's out there getting some great catches. Nice alantani.com rod and reel combo for the boat rod. I need to get out and fish as much as you do Dwight!

Newell Nut

That lucky lady sure had fun with your reel. You built it good and who made that handle? It was balanced nice and had a very good feel to it.

fIsHsTiiCkS

Quote from: Newell Nut on March 06, 2015, 10:45:17 PM
That lucky lady sure had fun with your reel. You built it good and who made that handle? It was balanced nice and had a very good feel to it.

I really like that handle as well. I use that handle anytime I want the reel to look like it came right out of the factory, as I am not a fan of the actual Penn stock handles. I get them from a guy on eBay. http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-REPLACEMENT-HANDLES-FOR-PENN-REELS-24-66-/151474213225?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2344911169

Tightlines667

Those look like comfortable handles.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.