Problem with Casting Distance

Started by Zayn78, March 06, 2015, 02:50:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zayn78

I recently purchased a Shimano Calcutta Conquest 2014. It is an awesome reel, buttery smooth, good casting distance, simply well built.

After the first usage, i stripped open the reel and applied marine grease, oil the spool bearings and thoroughly cleaned the reel with ardent reel cleaner.

What i noticed after that was:-

1.  My casting distance was not the same as before. It seems that the spool slows down during casting. Ive opened 2 and closed 2 of the centrifugal brakes. Same as before i stripped the reel.

An angler said it might be because of the excess oil from the bearings dispersing to the brakes hence slowing the spool.

I then open up 1 more centrifugal brake, and got slightly better distance than before. I dont think ive missed any parts or wrongly assembled the reel. Everything works well, just the spool slowing down as though ive applied max brakes to it. Why ?

Also,

2. Before stripping down the reel, there was no sound from the bearings during casting. But after cleaning the reel with lighter fluid and a drop of deuthlon oil in it, every time i cast, it has that "ziiiingggg" sound. Its the same with my other reels. Btw, im using the standard shimano S-ard bearings and also hedgehog studio kattobi air bearings. Both gave the "ziinggg" sound after cleaning and a drop of oil. Is this normal ?

I hope im making sense. Any advice and tips would be very much appreciated.

Thank you

alantani

a thorough cleaning of everything with carb cleaner and a light coat of tsi 321.  that should do it!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Reel 224

I will definitely second the use of TSI 321. I have used it since Alan told me about the product and found it works great on Reels as well as small motors and guns, especially trap guns. 
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Tiddlerbasher

Which oil did you use on the spool bearings - TSI 321/301 will speed things up ;)

Reel 224

"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Zayn78

Quote from: Tiddlerbasher on March 07, 2015, 12:12:05 AM
Which oil did you use on the spool bearings - TSI 321/301 will speed things up ;)

im using -

1. Mariner Grease for internal gears and body
2. Cal's for drag
3. Bearings - deuthlon oil

Think of using shimano bantam oil and see whether does it still have the 'zinggg' sound during casting....

Zayn78

found a thread here, on Lubricants & Grease.....i think i know why the spool slows down and what causes the 'zinng' sound..

1. Spool Slowing down - due to excess oil dispersing to the brake lining..

2. Zing sound  -  due to the bearings being cleaned, i think the deuthlon oil is too thin causing slight friction to the ball bearings....i'll try cleaning the bearing again and this time using just bantam oil

Hope im right.....

Thank you all for the tips and advices...

zerofish

Take a look at TG's rocket fuel lubes. They are made especially for distance casting and might give you those extra yards.

jaypeegee

My Daiwa SL20SH which has no brake blocks but instead has a static mag brake freespooled for ~8 seconds using the oil I got with my Akios reel
Using TS321 it freespooled for ~22 seconds.
Use it on all my reels now.

Zayn78

just got my TSI 321 !!! cant wait to try it out.....