Old Surf Rod Reel Seat Cracked

Started by JoePlo, March 07, 2015, 11:13:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoePlo

Hey all. Need some help with whether or not I get fix this or have it fixed. An older surf rod I have and the upper reel seat is cracked. Not sure if this is even possible.

BMITCH

luck is the residue of design.

JoePlo

Not sure what that means. Just pull it off and then tape the reel? Zip ties were a silly idea. Slipped right off.

Keta

Use the reel clamp to hold the reel on the rod.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

BMITCH

Yes pull off the cracked seat and then you can use tape to tape down the front of the reel seat. Or as Lee said the reel clamp or both.

BMITCH

I'm just assuming that it's a spinning reel seat? If so..there's no reel clamp but many a reel has been taped to a rod for surf fishing.

Newell Nut

If you like the rod get the seat replaced. If you don't really want to spend money on it then buy a new one. It is real easy to fix if it is like the one I fixed yesterday. Upper part of the rod and lower part were epoxied into the reel seat. Removed the reel seat and epoxied a new one in place. Glue was set this morning and wrapped new guides on and flex coated. project complete. Cost me about $25 for a new rod that I am giving to a friend that will be thrilled to have it. Very old rod looks like a new one now.

These old rods are fun to bring back to life.

JoePlo

Yes its an old custom surf rod. I would love to have it rebuilt and the guides re wrapped. I no nothing of rod repair. I will probably just put a hose clamp on it till I find someone to fix it properly.

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

fIsHsTiiCkS

Quote from: JoePlo on March 08, 2015, 02:28:03 PM
Yes its an old custom surf rod. I would love to have it rebuilt and the guides re wrapped. I no nothing of rod repair. I will probably just put a hose clamp on it till I find someone to fix it properly.

Plenty of guys on here that can do that kind of work!

Jeri

The rod looks in remarkably good condition, getting a new reel seat fitted properly would be optimum. Until you can get that done properly, then the 'hose clamp' solution will suffice.

A relatively easy job for someone with the right skills and tools.

Cheers from sunny Africa,

jeri

JoePlo

Thanks Jeri. It was a gem from my grandfathers collection. A few surf rods and this one was the best of the lot. I am looking around locally for someone who can fix it up nice for me.

conchydong

I think Fuji makes a Plate style reel seat that can be thread wrapped over an existing blank without having to remove any grips or guides. Not sure if it could be applicable to your situation but it might work. You may have to dremmel cut the existing reel seat off the blank and thread wrap the plate style seat on to the blank. "Google" Fuji plate style reel seats and you will get the idea.

Reel 224

That is a nice looking rod and you can fix that sprung reel seat. Find a welding shop and they can braze that crack for you or even TIG weld it. Make sure they know there business first. It's really a simple repair.

The new reel seats are so much better today then the older seats especially for those guys that like to get over zealous tightening the reels down. 
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."