Size difference between a daiwa 3500 and 4000 spinning reel

Started by newport, March 08, 2015, 12:56:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

newport

Are the size differences between the 3500 and 4000 daiwa spinners only in the spool, or is there a body size difference as well? I am used to shimanos and am a little confused about how daiwa size their reels. Would I be correct in saying that the 4000 daiwa is  very similar in size as 4000 shimano? Thanks.

Porthos

A Daiwa 4000 has 60yds/10lb capactiy MORE than a Daiwa 3500 (compared a Crossfire 4000 to a Crossfire 3500).

The best way without having the reels in-hand for physical comparison, is to go by line capacity. By this ROUGH "rule of thumb," a Daiwa 3000 and a Shimano 4000 would be approximate (200yds/10lb). A Daiwa 4000 has 100yds/10lb capacity MORE than a Shimano 4000.

newport

That's true, but then I look at the braid capacity between the daiwa and the shimano, and there is a huge discrepency in line capacity. I can't remember off the top of my head, but even the 3500 spool capacity for braided line is much bigger than the 4000 shimano even though the monofilament capacity is the same. I know line capacity isn't exactly accurate, but still, it's a noticeable diffrence. I know you're probably right as I came to the same conclusions when looking at the mono line capacity, but just needed to make sure as I'm purchasing a spinner from Japan. I am thinking about the  new 2015 saltiga when it comes out and thought it should be the perfect size for both my 8ft and 9ft surf rods, as well as for jigging off the boat.

Porthos

No chance of seeing export units in local shop, and trying them on your rods before going full on JDM? Only way to know to a high degree of confidence about the balance and feel.