Gear Grease

Started by bigi, November 23, 2010, 02:01:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigi

What is the preferred grease for lubing gears?

I did a search  and found a lot of info on bearing lube & greasing and non moving parts but nothing on gears.

Thanks!

Bub B.

kamuwela

any marine grease will do fine. i use yama lube but make sure you get marine grease. yamaha has two different types of grease. the small tubes and the 1lb can is non marine and the 14oz tubes are marine grade. you gonna have to ask yamaha why the package their product this way.

Norcal Pescador

Yamaha Marine grease! Evinrude-Johnson is sticky and Cal's reel and drag grease is a bit pricey. Amount is somewhere between 'fingerprint' and frosting a cake. "A little dab will do ya." ;D
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

bigi

So it's marine yama lube on the gears and bearings(not in spool), oil on the bearings in the spool and and cal's on the drag.

Sound right?

Thanks!

Bryan Young

I personally like Evinrude Triple Guard with a smig of corrosionX.  A diluted tacky.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

kamuwela

youll like the mix of corrosion x  like bryan said. i found this out by playing around, works much nicer when applied. i use a flux brush and marine grease to coat all internals for protection. cal's for the drag. and for casting corrosion x  on open spool bearings. 

broadway

If you're not a reel repair man, and just doing your own go with Cal's all around.  Just go lightly cause as the boys said it can get pricey, but  can be applied to the whole reel.  The only thing I don't use Cal's on is my bearings...there I go with yamaha marine.  The only precaution is if you fish in tropic/hot conditions it does seem to thin out.
Dom

TimH

Would this go for bass reels or just for salt water reels? I use super lube that another reel shop here uses but seems go be real sticky.

alantani

you can use whatever is in your reel already.  just get an old toothbrush and start spreading the old grease around.  if you need more, really any good quality lube is fine.  i use yamaha marine. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!