plate reel seats

Started by js1172, March 08, 2015, 10:19:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

js1172

bought a used but unfished OMC 12' 8-12 heaver, will these plate seats hold up under 22# of drag? its innovative but looks "dainty" for lack of a better word. thanks
js
Our houses are protected by the good lord and a gun, ya might meet them both if ya show up here not welcome son
way out here/Josh Thompson

Jeri

Hi JS,

I would be very wary of using a plate reel seat with that rod, as they are fine for 'light' work, but once you start taking the drag pressure up, you are going to have a sorrowful incident - the reel seat will 'let go'.

Rather go to fitting a normal Fuji pipe fitting - it may mean cutting off one of the grips, but in the long run you will be sure that the rod and reel stay connected.

Some of our heavier models of surf rod for the guys casting 8oz + 10oz baits, using really big reels like Trinidad 50, we have even ben building with Fuji boat reel seat fittings, just for the confidence that he reel will stay intact with the rod.

Hope that helps.

Jeri

Bryan Young

Quote from: js1172 on March 08, 2015, 10:19:35 PM
bought a used but unfished OMC 12' 8-12 heaver, will these plate seats hold up under 22# of drag? its innovative but looks "dainty" for lack of a better word. thanks
js
What's a plate reel seat?  is it one that uses a hose clamp to hold the reel?
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

js1172

Quote from: Bryan Young on March 09, 2015, 03:27:26 PM
Quote from: js1172 on March 08, 2015, 10:19:35 PM
js
What's a plate reel seat?  is it one that uses a hose clamp to hold the reel?
bryan its a flat piece of metal that glues and then is wrapped like a guide which holds and snaps locked the reel in place, doesn't encompass the blank just glued to it

js
Our houses are protected by the good lord and a gun, ya might meet them both if ya show up here not welcome son

crackerman

It the reel has a clamp and it is properly utilize, it ought to be just fine.

Bryan Young

Asia uses those reel seats quite often on rods 20# test line or less.  for your purpose, unless you are wrapping the ends and center with Kevlar thread, I wouldn't use those seats for 22# of drag.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

MarkT

What's a OMC 12' 8-12?  12' length and rated for 8-12#?  I've never heard of OMC, who and what are they?
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

js1172

Quote from: MarkT on March 11, 2015, 02:32:08 PM
What's a OMC 12' 8-12?  12' length and rated for 8-12#?  I've never heard of OMC, who and what are they?
Its a bass pro shops brand, correct 12' rated 8-12 oz, offshore angler, ocean master casting (omc) cape point special

bryan, already have contacted a guy about changing the seat but will make a week trip before he can work it in, will use a rod clamp and couple heavy zip ties till then.
js