Squidder bearings

Started by callelk, November 24, 2010, 12:43:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

callelk

As some may know, I am a big fan of the Squidder series of reels and use them for everything.  By everything I mean lake trout, salmon, stripers, catfish, small to medium rock fish, etcetera, etcetera, etcetera.   

I plan on taking up kayak fishing and was thinking about the bearing issue.  Since I have a precision lathe and know how to use it, would oil impregnated bronze bearings be good substitutes for the open bearings in a couple of my reels for yak fishing? 

Just typing out loud here so to speak.

alantani

personally, i'd just pop open the reel after every trip and shoot some corrosion x into the bearings.  you're talking about 10 seconds.........
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Cortez_Conversions

Callelk, I'd agree with Alan, but if you are looking for a winter project, I think the bushings will work.
Visit: cortezconversions.com
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.-Sal

callelk

Quote from: Cortez_Conversions on November 24, 2010, 07:14:03 PM
Callelk, I'd agree with Alan, but if you are looking for a winter project, I think the bushings will work.

It's 12 out at the moment.....Fahrenheit not that sissy Celsius stuff.......... winter is now and I got plenty of time on my hands. :)

callelk

Quote from: alantani on November 24, 2010, 02:45:52 AM
personally, i'd just pop open the reel after every trip and shoot some corrosion x into the bearings.  you're talking about 10 seconds.........

One of the reasons that I like the Penn's so darn much, unscrew the pin, quick 1/8 turn twist and its open to the world. 

Thing is, I am already running out of indoor projects and it only November............. ::)

alantani

dude, i need help with my garage!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Cortez_Conversions

Quote from: alantani on November 25, 2010, 05:08:53 AM
Not to hijack the thread Alan, but I'll be around this weekend (sunday), let me know if you need a hand
Visit: cortezconversions.com
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.-Sal

callelk

if you ever seen MY garage........ well.................from me, you don't..........er...........really ;D

Dave Bentley

Hey Alan,
What an opportunity, If I wasn't on the other side of the planet I would love to assist just to get the chance to play with your toys.
Only believe that which you know to be true.