Penn 285 - Hot Rod Candidate??

Started by sundancer, March 09, 2015, 12:21:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sundancer

Gents

Good day.  I have a 285 on the way to me.  Looks to be in good shape from the eBay pix. 

This will be no. 2.  I am looking to hot rod it a bit.  I really like the first.  It appears to be a real workhorse for my type of fishing. 

What would you do to this Reel?  Is there room for a drag washer upgrade?  Etc.

Thanks
Steve

PS.
I think I have converted another.  Guy at work now has a few little 9's after the first I gave him.  He can't wait to get out and use it and was amazed how nice it worked just tossing it around in the background.. 
Miles to go.....,

George4741

Sundancer, sorry one of us didn't answer you sooner, but here goes...  If your reel doesn't have a metal spool, get one.  Then the standard set of 3+1 HT100 drag washers and a stainless gear sleeve if the old one is worn.  Don't pretend it's a 113H Senator and you'll be fine. ;)
George

One more thing, don't forget the Penn 24-56 power handle.
viurem lliures o morirem

sundancer

Thanks George.  Will be getting it from my PO Box Wednesday. 

I will be opening it up Wednesday evening so I will know then if itis worth the Washers and Sleeve.

Thanks again.
Steve
Miles to go.....,

fIsHsTiiCkS

There is always room to hot rod a little for all these penns. When you get it, cracked it open and we can help from there!

sundancer

Well, other than a small chip in the left Side Plate on the edge near the top Spacer Bar, it is really clean (inside and out) and strong.

I thought that a 500S Spacer Bar might be a good addition to increase the rigidity but the 285's Bar holes are just a little off.  So I am back to adding a 5th Bar.  There are small dimples near the top of the Plates.  I am thinking I can use the 'front' one and add a Bar there.

Will also be going to a bigger Handle and made see if I can find a better Foot.

Thanks again (now to get the weather to behave..)
Steve
Miles to go.....,

fIsHsTiiCkS

Quote from: sundancer on March 12, 2015, 01:02:27 AM
Well, other than a small chip in the left Side Plate on the edge near the top Spacer Bar, it is really clean (inside and out) and strong.

I thought that a 500S Spacer Bar might be a good addition to increase the rigidity but the 285's Bar holes are just a little off.  So I am back to adding a 5th Bar.  There are small dimples near the top of the Plates.  I am thinking I can use the 'front' one and add a Bar there.

Will also be going to a bigger Handle and made see if I can find a better Foot.

Thanks again (now to get the weather to behave..)
Steve

I wonder if the SS squidder bars that black pearl is coming out with would fit?

sundancer

Miles to go.....,

thorhammer

Alto Mare

I believe the screws on the 285 are spaced the same as the jigmaster, it would be nice if Alan makes those I have a few 970's that could use them, ok, I have many 970's that could use them ;D. the longbeach and a couple of others could also use them.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

sundancer

AM, which Jigmaster?  I took the Bar off a 500S and the 285's holes were just a little wider but I will check again.

S
Miles to go.....,

fIsHsTiiCkS

Quote from: Alto Mare on March 12, 2015, 01:45:26 AM
I believe the screws on the 285 are spaced the same as the jigmaster, it would be nice if Alan makes those I have a few 970's that could use them, ok, I have many 970's that could use them ;D. the longbeach and a couple of others could also use them.

If he came out with those, that would be sweet! Should do a small run, they would fit the LB 60 and similar width reels

Alto Mare

Quote from: sundancer on March 12, 2015, 01:52:04 AM
AM, which Jigmaster?  I took the Bar off a 500S and the 285's holes were just a little wider but I will check again.

S
Sundancer, you are correct! No wonder I missed it, we're talking 1/32" off, still, just enough not to make it work.

We that said, I still need to have some for my 970's ;D.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

thorhammer

Sal has many 970"s. hero worship. bought to give my one and only the treatment

George4741

From my experience, none of the aforementioned bars will fit on the 285.  I wish Penn standardized the screw spacing on their reels. >:(  

I have one odd sized spacer bar that I believe is a #37-970.  It won't fit my Long Beaches, 85, or 285 as the screw spacing is slightly off. Oddly enough, it fits my Sailfisher!        
viurem lliures o morirem

intili

970 Worship!! I have four, they can be 970 or 980 depending on how I feel that day!! Two actually began life as 980, but only one remains that width currently! They will someday have those new insert drags that are becoming so popular!!  I have been trying to upgrade the drags, but can't find the thin washers to use standard diameter this carbontex.  :(