Started by Marcq, March 09, 2015, 06:32:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marcq

My setup

All black project

Waiting for SS gear sleeve to arrive

Marc..

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

foakes

That looks really convenient, Marc --

What would one need for a set up like you have?

What components?  Where to obtain them?

Where is a source of supply for the powder coat?

How hard is it to do?

Does it turn out as well as a commercial job, or better?

Does the paint hold up well?

I have sent items out for PCing before -- but it is always a trip, expense, having to return, maybe losing small parts, etc..

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Tightlines667

Cool looking setup.  What is the total investment costs?  & rough estimate of cost per reel and/or part?
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

fIsHsTiiCkS

Sounds like a lot of people want their own setup now!

Nice job!

Marcq

Quote from: foakes on March 09, 2015, 10:11:36 PM
That looks really convenient, Marc --

What would one need for a set up like you have?

What components?  Where to obtain them?

Where is a source of supply for the powder coat?

How hard is it to do?

Does it turn out as well as a commercial job, or better?

Does the paint hold up well?

I have sent items out for PCing before -- but it is always a trip, expense, having to return, maybe losing small parts, etc..

Best,

Fred

Some of the stuff you may already have

Toaster oven(walmart/target)
Small compressor(I have a 3 gallon) set to 25/30psi
Powder coating system Chicago( bought it at harbor freight) $70 works really good
Coating boot, I made mine out of a home depot bucket
Little 4 gallon shop-vac, connected to the base of the coating boot with a filter(I used a face dust air filter)
Powder coat paint( harbor freight) $5.00 for 16oz but not to many color, ebay lots of color but double/triple the price. There's also Eastwood but never dealt with them
High temp masking tape, silicone plugs

That's about what you need. The process of powder coating is fairly easy but parts needs to be clean and roughed up especially when dealing with chrome plating parts you have to make those parts look dull. When coating I like 2 light coats, if the part as sharp edge 3

Hard to tell from the pic but the result is/ looks very professional, will try to take better pics later. The nice thing about powder coating, it's very resistant and easy to fix if something happens, can't say the same for chrome and anodizing  

Marc..

Marc..

Marcq

Oh!! don't use your oven where you cook your food, you''ll get sick

And wear a mask even if your boot is equipped with an air filter

Marc..

Tightlines667

Noce looking results.  I wonder if Tiburon would be willing to sell unfinished/raw frames and spools?
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Marcq

Quote from: Tightlines666 on March 09, 2015, 11:29:44 PM
Noce looking results.  I wonder if Tiburon would be willing to sell unfinished/raw frames and spools?

If not Tiburon, maybe someone else. I have seen some interest on new frames for penn reels, powder coating uncoated parts/frame would be a piece of cake , it's the prep that's the more time consuming

Marc..

fIsHsTiiCkS

Quote from: Marcq on March 09, 2015, 10:59:03 PM
Oh!! don't use your oven where you cook your food, you''ll get sick

And wear a mask even if your boot is equipped with an air filter

Marc..

That is a very nice jigmaster! I really like that matte coloring.

Alto Mare

Very nice Marc, I  like the matte finish as well. That reel will look even sharper with black plates on.

Good job!

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

George4741

viurem lliures o morirem

Marcq

Quote from: George4741 on March 11, 2015, 12:39:54 AM
Can you have a glossy finish, too?

Yes you can, but the problem with glossy finish with powder coating is orange peel, some pigment are more prone to it, on mat finish you don't see it. I had a hard time with the color red, after many attempts, I found a somewhat solution, bake it, shoot it, bake it, but often it's cause by heavy coats

I have a bridge that is glossy, I'll take pictures when it's light out

Thanks guys

Marc..

Bryan Young

Very nice work Marc.

Yes, I can hear my wife now...what do you need that for?  How many parts will you powder coat...lalalalalala.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D