Another Delrin advocate

Started by bob v, March 09, 2015, 06:48:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bob v

Hello all,
     As some of you read about my first build (155 Beachmaster) went well I just finished another build. I had a couple 209's I want to set up for some wreck fishing on party boats for Sea Bass and Flounder. The first I used the brass gear sleeve with carbontex drag stack with one under the main gear and the stock top washer on the stack. The second I used S.S. gear sleeve,carbontex drag stack but with a Delrin washer under the gear and I cut a Delrin Belville for the top of the stack. I used a spacer from Alan C, to finish off the piece. I must say I think there is a world of difference with the Delrin. This reel runs as smooth as a babies bottom. So, what I'm saying is if you haven't played with the Delrin in different places give it a try and lets see what we all come up with. I have to thank Sal for turning me on to the Delrin. I'm still playing with it but I'll for sure change the other 209 to the same thing and thy some different reels.....bob v

broschro

BMITCH

luck is the residue of design.

thorhammer

who's got the delrin's? I've got a few builds going on 160, 155, 209, 210 and of course the fiber washers under spools are toast.

thanks!

John

fIsHsTiiCkS

Quote from: thorhammer on March 10, 2015, 02:40:52 PM
who's got the delrin's? I've got a few builds going on 160, 155, 209, 210 and of course the fiber washers under spools are toast.

thanks!

John

I believe Dawn at smooth drag is now offering these.

BMITCH

I've been cutting my own using a drill press and a modified wood spade bit...

Filed it so the outside was a cutting edge..

This works fairly well. I run a flat edge of a razor blade over the cut edge to clean up any rough areas. I'm still streamlining the process. When I have it worked out ill post it up. Hope this helps some.

Bob
luck is the residue of design.

Keta

I'm cutting a few for myself if Dawn does not have what you need.   I have some for the 12/0, 14/0 and 16/0 I can part with now.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

joel8080

Here's a great Delrin story, I ordered some Delrin from McMasters around 9am, that day at 4:15 the door bell rings a guy has a package for me I look at the box and it says McMasters, sure enough it was what I ordered that morning the guy works for a private delivery service and McMaster has 5 distribution points and one about 45 min away he picked it up and droped it off on his way home.
Best Delivery I ever had.
Joel8080
Oceanside,California

Keta

Nice, it takes them 3 days to get to me but I'm in the sticks.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

VW

Quote from: BMITCH on March 10, 2015, 04:04:29 PM
I've been cutting my own using a drill press and a modified wood spade bit...

Filed it so the outside was a cutting edge..

This works fairly well. I run a flat edge of a razor blade over the cut edge to clean up any rough areas. I'm still streamlining the process. When I have it worked out ill post it up. Hope this helps some.

Bob

Great idea! Thanks for showing it. 

bob v

I bought a punch kit but I'm having trouble with the washers splitting when I try to cut the center holes. Any suggestions?.....bob v

Shark Hunter

I had the same trouble Bob. My punches were the cheaper version. I sharpened them with a diamond stone on a Dremel and it helped, but I still broke a couple.
Life is Good!

Alto Mare

Yeah, mine were also splitting from hitting the punch, as i mentioned earlier, i don't hit them anymore, I use this $39 one ton press

you could even use the cheaper punches with this, they will do just fine

the only thing, you will need an extension on the handle or it won't do, i use a piece of plastic pipe

here is one, using the cheap punches

As I mentioned it to you on a couple of emails, there are better kits out there, that will cut the OD and ID in one shot, but they aren't cheap.
This press is working out for me.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

fIsHsTiiCkS

Putting that organizer/cart to good use already Sal  ;)

Tightlines667

Sal,

I have been splitting a few as well.  Kinda makes me wonder if something a bit less fragible might make a better material for these washers.  The Teflon, is not as slick, and is subject to some compression, and may be subject to flow, but it does not become brittle or crack.  The Teflon washers used in the International series of reels lasts for decades with no noticable wear, and maintaining its properties relatively well.  Just a thought.

I've been drilling out the inner holes, and punching the outter. 

BTW what press is that? & where did you get it?  I have been considering investing in an Arbor press..something smaller maybe a 1 ton benchtop model?
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.