Newbie here! Rec's on reels for So. Cal

Started by EL JEFE, November 24, 2010, 05:58:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EL JEFE

Hello All-
New to site.  Alan, you've done a great job with this site!

My questions are for reel recommendations for fishing Southern California.  I started fishing about 10 years ago, so I am far from being very experienced.  I fish from my own boat and usually fish from LA down to SD (points in between), Coronado Islands, Catalina Island, Clemente Island, and inshore along the coast,  My range is about 50 miles offshore.......within 50 miles and I am there!

So, not to break the bank, I would like to get some new reels (that are not $500 each!) for my above mentioned uses.  I am considering the following set ups listed below.  My preference is new, unless I can find some well cared-for used reels.  I currently have Daiwa Sealines (15 and 20 that are about 15 years old)) for #1 and #2 below, TN30 for #3 below, and an Avet Pro EX 40/0 for trolling.  I also picked up a new Penn 555MagGS a couple of years ago but haven't really put it to use seeing is it very close to the TN30 in terms of size/specs.

I have never used Newells or smaller Avets, so I am unfamiliar with these.  I do read a lot about them (pros and Cons).  

1.  10-15lb set up for inshore and Catalina/Clemente Calico Bass, Sand Bass, Barracuda (live bait and plastics)

2.  15-20lb set up for Yellowtail/WSB (live bait)

3.  20-30lb set up for larger Yellowtail, WSB, Tuna (live bait, iron)

4.  20-30 lb jig set up

5.  Something to cast some iron with an 8-9 foot rod (#4?).

Any other set ups that you can recommend would be great.  

BTW - just informed of Black Friday specials......Trinis $199.99, Saltists, $119-$139, Tyrnos 2 spd $179-$219

Thanks!

alantani

trinidads are nice, toriums are probably a better value.  the tyrnos is also a good value, but they are heavy and you need to go through them first.  there is no way to spring load the saltist dog, so i would recommend against that one. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

EL JEFE

Thanks for the input Alan-

Since I am looking at some of the deals that can be had right now (no guarantee there will be any Trinis when I arrive) but what do you think about the following.  I am considering reel quality, ease of maintenance and parts availability/customer service, good/very good drag, and good castability/free spool.  I am a little concerned to hear about the Trinis and the anti-reverse pawl issues.  Don't need my knuckles busted!!!  Is this a deal breaker for this reel?

BTW - what are your thoughts on Newells?  Would you recommend the Torium over the Newells or Avets for my intended uses?  Based on my budget, it appears my choice are between Avets, Trinis (older model), Torium, Saltist, Penn Torque, etc.....basically reels that are under $200 a pop.

1.  Newell P229 (15lb set up
1.  Trinidad 16 (20lb set up)
2.  Newell P338 for 30 lb set (for casting...as I already have a Trini 30 and Penn 555GS)

Thanks for the assistance!

Phinaddict

The Two Rules of Success:
1. Don't tell everything you know

BurningHeart

Daiwa Sealine X's are a good value and dependable. I have a Sealine X 40SHA spooled w/ #30 Ande mono and brought in 3 YT all over 36lbs and it hauled em' in like a champ. Also have an Avet MXJ spooled w/ #20PLine CXX and brought in a WSB @ 25lbs like a champ also. Charkbait is having a sale on Avets free shipping & no tax.  I've also seen the Daiwa Sealines at Big 5 ranging around $99.99-$109.99. Either one will suit your needs. and you wont break the bank with these.

alantani

i really like the torium 16.  it needs carbontex drag washers, a spring loaded dog and a new handle.  great reel after those upgrades.  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!