New shimano 130a

Started by NovaSS, March 09, 2015, 11:21:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NovaSS

Hi, I just ordered a new shimano 130a for land base shark fishing. I was looking at a penn 14/0 or 16/0. But i just couldnt find the one i wanted. So my wife told me to get the ones you always wanted. I sprung for the shimano 130a over the penn 130vsx or a avet 80w. I was just wondering if any special care is need for this reel or any other tips or advice would be great.

Tightlines667

It should be good to go as is.  Nice reels, but the bearings will be a little sparse on grease from the factory, and all internals are coated in a light clear protectent.  Shouldn't really need a preservice, cept maybe a bit more grease on outdide of clicker assembly, and maybe grease the drive shaft bearings to help keep the water at bay..o yea, and the screws typically do not come greased from the factory.  You should be able to fish it a year or so before it truely needs a service. 

I think you are gonna like this reel.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Shark Hunter

That is a Heck of a reel Chad! :o
We expect pics when you get it. No wonder you didn't want that 14/0. ;D
I only have one Big Gold reel and that's an Everol 14/0 two speed. ;)
Life is Good!

Rothmar2

x2 for bearings, no sufficiently greased from factory, and do the screws too.
Another thing is grease under the plastic side plate that holds the lever quadrant stoppers. It acts as a sauna, salt water will get in, but not out, next thing you know there is corrosion around the sleeve for the crank.
These are not a reel I would use without a thorough pre-service.

Tightlines667

Quote from: Rothmar2 on March 10, 2015, 04:59:01 AM
x2 for bearings, no sufficiently greased from factory, and do the screws too.
Another thing is grease under the plastic side plate that holds the lever quadrant stoppers. It acts as a sauna, salt water will get in, but not out, next thing you know there is corrosion around the sleeve for the crank.
These are not a reel I would use without a thorough pre-service.

Oh yea..under the plastic, and a bit on the springs too. 
The only reason I said hes good to go for a year..is I rarely if ever see any corrosion withon the first year of use on these guys...2+ years is another story. 

Any reel will certainly benefit from a through preservice.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Shark Hunter

Plastic? There should be no plastic in there as far as I'm concerned.
The only thing on a senator that is plastic, is the side plates. Well, actually its Bakelite.
I think you might have yourself a pre service challenge Chad.
I actually thought the Tiagra 130's were no longer being made.
Life is Good!

NovaSS

Thanks for all the info. I researched around before getting the shimano and it does have a plastic side cover. But i have not been able to find any problem with it other then a few people over tightening the screws. Metal or plastic ive seen thats a problem on most reels. I was about to order the 16/0 off ebay but decided last min not to due to the fact it has cracked side plates and I figured after buying parts and upgraded it would cost just as much as the 130.

what brand grease is your favorite? ive been using cal on my spinners. Also whats a descent budget rod? that will last me a year or two. I know running straight mono on reels put alot of pressure on the spool. I was thinking of just running 1000 yards of 130lb ande or other mono and next year if the mono isnt enough running 1500 yards of 150lb braid spliced into 200lb mono top shot.

Shark Hunter

Chad,
That reel can hold 1000 yards of 130 lb mono. With the drag capability of that reel. I think that would suffice. If you must have more. My suggestion is 600 yards of 200 Lb JB Hollow on the bottom and then 200 mono on top.
I only use Penn Blue Grease and Cal's on the drags, but that will open up a whole other debate.
Life is Good!

Rothmar2

Nova, check the couple of pix at the bottom of this page...

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=1355.15

Yes it's an extreme case, but I see this (to a lesser degree) on just about every Tig that has been fished out of the box for a couple years without a preservice.
If you get plenty of grease under there straight up before use, the problem can be reduced/managed.
Get a quote for a replacement right side plate, and you'll find out why I'm concerned about these plastic saunas.

NovaSS

thanks for the heads up, im goin to see if my buddy with cnc machine can make a clone out of the plastic cover. but will pre service it. Would be nice if there was a video on it. but from your guys breakdown photos im sure i can manage. ill try and do a service on it twice a year if not more to make sure everything is clean. Its sucks a reel of this price range is not sealed better.

NovaSS

Got home today and my reel has arrived. ;D I got a few pics for you guys. sorry camera sucks and i got finger prints all over it. Now time to find a rod. I order yamalube marine and some reel x. I figured it was time to restock on grease and oil. I also got mcguires gold class carnauba wax. I was wonder what all of you use to wax your reels and spools with?

FatTuna

That's one hell of a reel. I've been hunting for some used ones for a while now. They don't come cheap. Congrats on the new purchase. That thing should be able to land anything that swims.

Shark Hunter

That is a Pig! ;D You should be all set. I use liquid car wax on mine. It really doesn't matter. Any Automotive Car wax will be fine.
Life is Good!

NovaSS

I took the 130 apart and greased it up well. very simple reel. You guys where right there was only a very small amount of grease in this reel.