Big ringed hooks

Started by Shark Hunter, March 10, 2015, 04:05:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shark Hunter

Has anyone seen any hooks like this? I've never fished ringed hooks before, but these sure look Heavy Duty. The thickness of them is something else. They also look to be stainless and offset. Super Mutu?
Life is Good!

MarkT

Too heavy for super mutu.  Those almost look like they're made from rebar!
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

fIsHsTiiCkS

I fish ringed hooks as it helps live bait move a little better. Those are some MASSIVE hooks though.  Safe to say they will work well

Tightlines667

Those are standard 3.6mm and 3.8mm ringed commercial longline 'Tuna Hooks'.  I have seen them catch alot of fish (and sharks too).  They will not bend, break, or rust out and remain relatively sharp.  They show why ringed hooks always keep pressure where it should be on the hook.  However, I would not recommend them for sportsfishing.  For sharks, you are better off with something that has a larger bite and gap.  Check out the Ringed Matsu super circles, or Gamagatsu Ringed circles.  For sharks I would go with a harder/sharper metal (onebthat breaks before bending).  14 or 16/0 ringed circles should fit the ticket.  Check out some of the longline ringed circles if you want sum super tough, longlasting hooks. 
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Shark Hunter

They were given to me John by Joel. I'm with you on the hooks to use. I've just never fished with ones that were that fat! If that gets buried in a Shark's Jawbone, I don't think my Dehooker could remove it.
They have about the same profile as a VMC 16/0 Circle. Just Much Heavier.
That big gap is what I like to use. They will hook themselves when they take off.
Sorry for the fuzzy picture, but I think it gets the point across.
Life is Good!

Tightlines667

They are built to last.

And actually..the ARC dehooker was designed specifically for these 'Tuna Hooks' so it works wonderfully, especially on more raggedy-toothed shark spp.  like Shortfin Makos...I have dehooked hundreds.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Shark Hunter

John,
Don't take offense, but I think that Arc Dehooker is a little flimsy for what I need.
I've held one and I just didn't think it had the meat and potatoes.
This is the one I use.

I don't know what kind of stainless it is made out of, but I have been using it a couple years and I've never washed it off from the salt and it looks just like the day I bought it.
I think I gave $70 bucks for it and it has already proved itself. I know it came from across the pond and has a lifetime warranty. I didn't know that until it arrived. A solid Dehooker is a must have.
Life is Good!

Jeri

Hi guys,

A couple of points of view to consider with hooks, and then their application. With commercial longliners, they are relying on the anchorage of the headline to set the hook, which is why they prefer circles,a s the hook sets itself when it comes tight to the headline. Thickness, just means that they last longer, which for a longliner with 1000 hook strings is an issue.

For sports fishing, we don't have the ability to apply huge loads to set the point of the hook past the barb, hence deliberate sports fishing hooks are generally finer in profile, more to copy a needle, than a pointed thick post.This finer profile is easier to set into the flesh of a fish's jaw, and then past the barb. In the past with standard marlin hooks and the like, it was often the case to hone down the huge barbs that manufacturers put on them, just to get good hook sets on trolled baits and lures. Also we are not so financially dependant on the money that we spend on hooks, so buying 10 is not as painful as buying 1000, that the commercial fisher might do.

Even in a shore shark fishing situation, just how much pressure are we able to exert on the point of the hook during the strike?? It will be considrably less than is applied in a longline situation.

From personal perspective, including sharks from the shore, a very fine pointed hook is much easier to set, than a thick wire hook, and that obviously gives the angler that much more confidence that the hook is firmly home, and can then be fought with that confidence.

Just a personal observation.

Cheers from sunny Africa.

Jeri

Keta

Nice hooks but I was expecting BIG hooks.... ;D   I'll try to dig out some big ones and post a photo.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Shark Hunter

Thanks Jeri,
I think You and John are spot on! ;D
Lee, Does yours have a Chain on it? This is my selection of preferred hooks for what I do.

Life is Good!

Keta

No chain, just large ringed circle hooks.  I have some 20/0 Mustad circle hooks I don't use, 16/0 works best for our Pacific halibut.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Keta

Mark Twain

Shark Hunter

I have heard those Charlie Brown's have a tendency to break at the barb.
Lee, I sent you a pm a couple days ago. I'm not getting the email alerts again, but my messages do show up here. It was about the 113H insert washers.
Life is Good!