Hello and Penn 49 Super Mariner Drag Upgrade

Started by Uncle Binky, November 24, 2010, 07:42:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

George4741

Aaron (aka ReelSpeed),
The 49L drags are also very similar in size to a 113H.  Is the stock 349/349H a much more capable reel?  Can they (the 349/349H) be upgraded to the 1+5 drag washers?   
viurem lliures o morirem

ReelSpeed

The stock 349H is a beefier reel, here is a thread with drag info: http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=746.0

If I remember right, the 349H had the main gear and sleeve of a 6/0, not a 4/0 like the 49 does.  Which makes it MUCH stronger.
Reelspeed Reel Service & Repair
Santa Fe Springs, CA 90670
(562) 261-5190

Alto Mare

The 49 is still faster than all the reels mentioned here, retrieving over 3 feet of line per crank. I still enjoy using mine  ;) The 113H are not the same size washers as the 49, but they can be used if you had to, the 49 washers are approximately 1/16 th  larger and the inner diameter is approximately 1/16 th smaller.
Aaron, we already have the stainless steel gear sleeve, all we need from you are the stainless steel gears that will take the 1+5 gear configuration. Boy that would be a heck of a reel.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Dominick

As you can see in the middle of the post there are some pictures of my Penn 49.  Some of you may have viewed the post and did not see the photos of the reel.  I had to go to PhotoBucket to find out why the pictures were removed.  There was a glitch that was straightened out.  They are very nice and kept after the problem until it was resolved.  My social secretary just walked in to say we have to pick up the grand babies, so I will post a couple of more photos without the crud tomorrow or later tonight.  It's a beauty.  Dom has Big Red, and I have Black Beauty.  Dominick

Here are some photos with the crud cleaned off. 

Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Alto Mare

Very nice Dominick, I love those older reels. ;)
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

andyh1213

I took another look at the gear on the 49, and you're right, it doesn't look like it can take a 5 drag washer system. I'll be putting it back together tonight, and hopefully I'll get some pictures taken of my rebuild.

thanks, andy

Bryan Young

Hmm, I wonder...Alan has a couple laying around.  Let me measure them up and see if a 5+1 carbontex set (including SmoothDrag's metal washers) will fit.  It'll probably be next week though.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Alto Mare

Bryan don't spend too much time on it, I've been there already :-\

blktwr2660

Hi, guys its me again 8)Have 3 49L's one is new, Planning to use two of them as teaser reels need help(as usual :- )I want to change the gears to stainless,Also want to keep the chromed spools.Need to know if I should use mono or dacron line like in a planner board reel and how much line will it hold in both mono and daron in the 200 lbs range.Have a good idea where I can get the gears,Correct me if I'm wrong ALAN.Need to up grade drags and handles.Thanks 8)
Not from around here,Just fishing and doing time on planet earth.

akfish

Getting stainless main gears will be tough; Penn hasn't made them for several years. But if you do find them, remember to add new pinion gears as well. The chromed brass spools are not nearly as strong as the newer aluminum spools. If you use the older spools, you'll have a better chance of keeping the spools round if you use Dacron; they don't tolerate mono well at all. But these are 30# class reels, so putting on 200# line will create all sorts of problems, at least it will if you fish it like 200# line. There's not much you can do to the drag other than install new HT-100 drag washers. A stainless steel gear sleeve is a good idea, especially if you install a new, high torque handle.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Alto Mare

Hello, I would keep the gears unless they need to be replaced. I have seen these reels come with 5 different spools: plastic- 3 piece chromed brass- two piece chromed brass- one piece chromed brass and aluminum as you have. To me, the one piece brass spool is one of  the best spool that you could get for that reel, the aluminum spool is preferred for casting, but the reel itself is too bulky and heavy for it.The aluminum spools that you have are good , just don't use them for trolling wire line, it will shred them to pieces. I would change the gear sleeve to stainless steel sleeve, carbon washers, even the one under the main gear, and load it with 300 yds. of 30 lb.mono, I wouldn't push that reel over 10 to 12 lb. Finally,   forget about the 200 lb. range , you would fry your gears. Oh I forgot, a nice handle will also be good, Alan can set you up with all of those things. Good luck to you, Sal

blktwr2660

Thank's Guy's for the input,but I think I was misunderstood.I'm not going to fish these,they are going to be used to control the teaser's that run from my outriggers,small dasiey chains of rubber squids and small plastic birds.I seen these reels used for years for this purpose.Need to use heavy line due to the forces put on the line while trolling at 6-8 knt's.I don't fish anything heavier than 80. 8)
Not from around here,Just fishing and doing time on planet earth.

Alto Mare

Gotcha! I misunderstood your question. In that case you would be ok with the 200 lb. , I can't tell you how much line it will hold , I have never loaded mine that heavy. I'm surpriced that your 49L have the chromed brass spools, they only come with the aluminum spool unless you have an older model, the L on the newer models means that it comes with the aluminum spool, the L on earlier models meant that it was a left handed reel.
Keep the gears on those reels, replace all washers with HT100's, a stainless steel gear sleeve and a nice power handle and that's about it.

George4741

Nice catch, Pescachaser!  Is that an unusual spool?  I've only seen only one other like it.   

To the members,
I have a 49 with a plastic spool.  It has a steel main gear and I've replaced the drags with 1+3 HT100's, but I don't want to buy an aluminum spool.  Is it suitable for bottom fishing with 30lb mono?  Should I fish with it, or place it on the shelf?   

George   
viurem lliures o morirem

Norcal Pescador

I wouldn't fish it with a plastic spool and 30 pound line. 15 pound topshot over the 30 maybe. :-\  Just my opinion.
Rob
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD