Hello and Penn 49 Super Mariner Drag Upgrade

Started by Uncle Binky, November 24, 2010, 07:42:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

broadway

Dominick,
        I love the look of those reels (mariner series), and black beauty is a fine example of that series.  I especially love that vintage spool, it looks brand new, which I know isn't easy to come by.
Enjoy your baby,
Dom

Blou Walvis

Hi Pesca - love those reels and you're right with the retrieval - they are awesome. I mostly use mine landbased. Question: - where could I find a upgrade power handle for the 49's? Would love to be able to have a better grip when retrieving.
Every day at the Beach is a Good Day!!

Norcal Pescador

I'm always glad to see the old Penns still in use. Often a change in grip is all you need for a great improvement in comfort. You can get the Penn power handles from www.mysticparts.com and better grips (Kolekar) from Alan. http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=158.0  
And welcome aboard!
Rob

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

Blou Walvis

Every day at the Beach is a Good Day!!

blktwr2660

Hi,Guy's it's me again 8).Have a question on my MARINERS ::) Just got my new HT100 Drag Washers ;) and new metal plates(from Scotties-of course).If you remember these reels are going to be used as TEASER REELS ;D.Need to know if the drag washers should be LUBED or left dry, Being(Hopefullythe fsh dosen't grab and hold on to long :P) the drags going to CRANKED DOWN.Any input would be greatly appericated :)
Not from around here,Just fishing and doing time on planet earth.

Norcal Pescador

I would still grease the washers. Dry drags can result in jerky pulling and the first risk is a breakoff. if you lock the drag down and there is a strong enough pull, either the line will break or the spool will turn. The next thing to go will be the gears. I'll take a little slide on the drag any day as my first, second and third choices.
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

jdc946

I have a old Penn 49. I changed the drag washers. I now have a problem with the drag. I have to tighten the star down ALL the way down to prevent slippage, plus the star seems to loosen on its own if you pull on the line. What i mean is if you loosen the star a little , so the drag isn't locked up, the star wheel will start turning backwards when line resistance is applied loosening the drag on its own. I haven't taken it apart yet to look a it, but was looking for a starting point. I thought it may be a missing washer? Any ideas will be appreciated.

alantani

sounds like the metal washers are out of order.  they should look like this.....

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

jdc946

I will have to take it apart and check, but that doesn't sound like something i would do, but one never knows. That would be embarrassing  :)

12-19-11  oooops - i took the reel apart, and i have to admit( how embarassing) that i put the washers back in the wrong order.  As usual, thank you for your help Alan.   jc.

alantani

it's not like any of us haven't made that mistake as well...... 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Bryan Young

Don't feel bad.  It's worse sitting in front of Alan and he takes a apart the reel and sees the drag washers are out of order.  He give you that little smirk of his, and you feel sheepish. 
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D