Abu garcia 7000C black

Started by steelfish, March 11, 2015, 01:48:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

steelfish

hey guys, look what I just got from a friend !!  same story, he wasnt using it from long time and sold i to me pretty cheap, it feels "dirty" when you crank the handle, Im pretty sure it just need a complete tear down, clean and lube job.

this pics are just how it is right now, all dusty and needing a little TLC

I will try to find a time to do it in this week and I will post pics of the after work.

made in Sweden ,... sweeeet !!

that vanished black paint is the only ugly part

rest of the reel is excellent shape

I couldnt found much info on this specific model 7000C, but I know it would be pretty similar to rest of the 7000 series

this will be the perfect match for my rainshadow SUR1505
The Baja Guy

fIsHsTiiCkS

Beautiful reel! I have been looking into getting some abus, as they are excellent reels.

thorhammer

very nice, and pretty rare. My old man loved the black 5000's and I still fish them now and again.

steelfish

well this is not a tutorial thread cuz abus are really pretty similar to each other on the same class, I know there are some threads here of the 7000 model, but anyway I will post some pics of this model for future reference, once again you will have to excuse the lack of technical language and parts names, also I will skip  some cleaning job on normal parts like levelwind assembly, light coat on every metal part, etc.

no wonder why the reel was really rough when cranking the handle and the spool didnt spin on free-spool was almost zero
lot of crude and dry grease everywhere on the reel

check all that grease.. I was surprised to find the iddle gear made of aluminum, niceee !!

this bearing is not corroded, is full of dry grease

WHAAAATTT !!!  second time I see this "trick" or just a coincidence ?  4-5 circles of mono line on the star drag to increase the pressure on the drag stack.

this was also new to me, a plastic spacer and  a "solid" steel spacer

some people think that the more oil your reel has on it the better, no wonder why the previous owner needed more drag it was always slipping, good thing on this is that all that oil everywhere prevented all the metal parts of been corroded that, or this reel was a fresh water big catfish reel.

this are mostly all the parts aligned according they were taken out from the reel.

now the after cleaning process.

frame
the chrome ended up as clean and shiny as a mirror

that orange reflection is my camera, nice !!

this look like carbon washers and look they are on good shape, they were just all covered on black and dirty oil, I think I will use them for some time like this until getting a nice big fish and test them properly

bearings were cleaned with carb cleaner and few drops of corrosion X, they spin like crazy now.

mirror chrome were covered by the light coat of grease

drags were installed with light grease coat too.

a lot of grease on the last part of the sleeve where the nut goes and the saltwater have the most contact

this is the finished reel

I like it that much that it will become one of my favorites for inshore fishing, pier fishing and surf fishing
so, it deserved a landscape picture

Im reeally happy with the result of the cleaning and lub job, from having a reel that had a rough feeling when cranking the handle now it feels smooth like butter and have zero pressure when turning the handle and spins super freely, looking forward my first cast on the rainshadow SUR1505 on 4oz and 5oz and bait.

The Baja Guy

wallacewt

black or silver knob would look nice,good stuff.

Alto Mare

Very nice Steelfish. I just got started on those, about a year now.  I like everything about them and are a pleasure to use.
Thanks for sharing.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

steelfish

Quote from: wallacewt on March 14, 2015, 01:04:34 AM
black or silver knob would look nice,good stuff.

yep, I really want a better knob on the handle, can you show me like which one do you have in mind?, Im thinking on going with one of there soon

Quote from: Alto Mare on March 14, 2015, 01:14:10 AM
Very nice Steelfish. I just got started on those, about a year now.  I like everything about them and are a pleasure to use.
Thanks for sharing.
Sal
this are really nice reels, all the line up of Ambassadeurs are workhorses that will survive like the cockroach until the end of the world.
The Baja Guy

basto

My old 1980 model 7000 had the alloy level wind gear.  They are putting delrin drag spacers in senators now. ABU was ahead of their time.
That is beautiful classic reel you have and you have done a great job servicing it. Congratulations.
Basto
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

johndtuttle

It's always a joy what fresh lube will do for quality machinery.  ;)

wallacewt

hi steelfish
personally i like the round knobs on small reels
i get mine off dawn at smoothdrag
nothing wrong with t-bars,weight?
its more about what is comfortable in your hand

5601c4 narow
6601c4 wide
6600c3 ld
on the lever drag i just put a sinker on as a counter weight, good balance
ill do the same to the narrow,get rid of the paddle
cheers mate

steelfish

great reels and great handles, thanks for the idea on the round knobs.

The Baja Guy