Stripped screw head - HELP

Started by aus bass, November 24, 2010, 11:28:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aus bass

Hi All,

Got an issue with a stripped screw head inside a Quantum Cabo30 PTs Baitcaster. The screws are very small and cannot be removed. Im not sure if the screws are reverse thread or not but the screws are stuck solid.

Any advice on removing these? I dont care about the screws as they will need replacing after i get them out. Do screw extractors come in sizes small enough for reels?

I'll try and post a couple of pictures tomorrow.
The greatest lie a reel repairer ever told was "yes dear this is a customers reel".

Pro Reel

If it's badly striped, then it may be too late for this. When you get on a screw that you can tell is very tight, STOP, get a soldering iron and hold the tip against the screw head for 15 to 20 seconds, then try it. Of course make sure you have the right size screw driver and if it a combo screw, use a flat head to break it loose.
Now if yours is not completly striped, I would try the soldering iron. If it a raised head screw, you may be able to cut a deeper slot in it with a dremmel and a small wheel. If it's a small recessed , bevel head, you will probably need to drill it out. You can try a reverse thread drill bit and it might catch and bring it out, but you will probably need to drill it out and tap the hole with bigger threads.

Bub B.

aus bass

Thanks for the tips Pro Reel. The srews that were stuck are actually the stabilzer bars that go right through the frame and into the right side plate. I tried all the tips listed as well as a screw extractor but all to no avail. In the end i've had to hacksaw out the stabilizer bars to gain access to the right side plate.

Prior to doing this i made sure the part is available and not too costly. A few dollars should have it back together and working.

As an aside i was suprised to note only one drag washer in this model. For a reel that cost $200 i would have thought it would contain a better drag system than that.
The greatest lie a reel repairer ever told was "yes dear this is a customers reel".

Wintu

Left hand drill bits from MSC in stub length or Mc Master Carr.