New Makaira 20II

Started by MBOGO, November 24, 2010, 04:51:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MBOGO

Hi all, new here first post Great site !!

I just got a new Makaira 20II and am going to Mexico for three weeks to try and give it a work out. Can i just use it out of the box or should i take it apart and re-grease the bearings and stuff. Brand new to salt water but lots of fresh water experiance. Thanks for the help

Norcal Pescador

For a three week trip I would open it up and make sure everything is right inside. Reels occasionally come from the factory not ready to fight. You don't want any surprises on your first day [or fish]!

You're on on the mark on this one, check for grease on the drag washers, lube the bearings if needed, and LIGHTLY coat all of the internal metal with marine grease.

Good hunting and tight lines!

Rob
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

MBOGO

Thanks Rob,   should i re-pack all the bearings or should i use oil on the spool bearings.

Norcal Pescador

If you haven't done so already, read Jim Nomura's posting on lubricants.
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=1018.msg3553#msg3553

Generally, if you're trolling and you don't ever plan to cast very far, then packing the spool bearings with grease is the way to go. Otherwise spool bearings get a light lube, like CorrosionX, ReelX, TSI 301 or 321, one drop in each bearing. All non-spool bearings should be packed with grease.

There are many good lube topics in the "Tools" board.

Rob
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

alantani

go forth and fish!

i have two of the makaira 10 two speeds.  both reels have been "sped up" by removing the spool bearing shields and cleaning them out.  one reel had the non-spool bearings pulled and packed with grease.  the other reel has non-spool bearings that were left stock.  this is my little experiment.  even if they act up, they have a 5 year warranty so you are covered.  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

boghy

Is there any feedback about how this reel cast? I'm thinking to be somewhere in the middle between casting and a good drag. I usually fish from piers & jetties and anything over 50yds in casting distance with this reel would be great. Drag is also a consideration for me because sometimes i paddle a kayak from the beach and fish for sharks. I would most likely use braided line, probably #70-#100lb line. I don't own a boat, so a middle range cast/drag reel like this one sounds pretty promising - based on the specs of course.
Don't like my post? Click on the banner below and call me!

Try my self-coded Line Calculator - for line conversions and topshot

alantani

spools are very heavy.  you won't get much distance........
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

boghy

Quote from: alantani on January 25, 2011, 08:07:24 AM
spools are very heavy.  you won't get much distance........
Let's say having 8oz of weight combined with 70lb braided line - full spool - with that combination would i be able to reach around 50yds of cast? I use heavy action custom made pier rods in 80lb class between 8'-10' 1 pc.
Don't like my post? Click on the banner below and call me!

Try my self-coded Line Calculator - for line conversions and topshot