505/506

Started by BMITCH, March 12, 2015, 01:58:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BMITCH

So was there ever a steel main gear for the 505/506?? If so does anyone have one to sell or trade? Also I have a BP SS gear set 5:1 for the jigmaster and I can see that the pinion would need to be drilled out in order for the spool shaft to fit. Has anyone done any experimenting along these lines. If so any guidance would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Bob
luck is the residue of design.

fIsHsTiiCkS

Quote from: BMITCH on March 12, 2015, 01:58:30 PM
So was there ever a steel main gear for the 505/506?? If so does anyone have one to sell or trade? Also I have a BP SS gear set 5:1 for the jigmaster and I can see that the pinion would need to be drilled out in order for the spool shaft to fit. Has anyone done any experimenting along these lines. If so any guidance would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Bob

A newell ss 5:1 gears fit in the 505s.

As, for the 5:1 BPs, I have ran across this with tib spools. I hate to have drill the pinion. So I took some metal polish and polished the inside of the pinion and then took 1000 and 1500 grit sand paper and sanded the spool shift a little. Worked well after that.

Hope that helps!

Keta

I wouldn't drill the out the pinion unless I used a lathe.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Bryan Young

I use Newell Gear Sets and a Penn 505/506 pinion if I couldn't get a gear set.  Newell's gears have the same cut as Penn except available is stainless steel.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Alto Mare

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.