Surf punished 332

Started by Rickman, March 12, 2015, 04:49:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rickman

A few months ago my 332 went into the surf in a botched kayak landing. It washed in a while ago and a neighbor brought it back to me. The rod was toast and the Kokelar reel handle, not the arm, was missing. Alan hooked me up with a new handle and arm! Thanks again Alan. I took the reel apart and soaked it for a while to help clean it up. Lots of sand but the ample greasing I learned about here kept everything looking good. When I put it all together I noticed about three gear teeth were broken. I couldn't feel anything happening when I turned the handle so I went ahead and used it. I caught a few tuna, biggest was 25lbs, and spent an hour pulling on a ray I snagged. I didn't notice any problem with the damaged teeth but a kayak moves when the fish moves so not as much pressure.
The reason I'm writing is that yesterday the handle came off in my hand while I had a fish on. The nut was off and the circlip with it. The anti reverse dog kept slipping. That was no fun but it was a needlefish and not too much of a problem. Looked in the kayak for the nut but couldn't find it. When I got back I found it in the truck. Problem solved.....except when I went to put the nut back on it opened up with two cracks in it. So, the surfing it did was rougher than I'd thought. And, Alan, the other one probably wasn't at fault.
My question is whether I should replace the gear when I get another nut and circlip or am I ok as long as it's on the kayak? 

foakes

Hi Rick --

Just my opinion -- not telling you what to do...

If it were mine, I would test all functions -- break it down completely again -- inspect every component -- and replace any questionable items with new.  This would include the gear.  The next time you fish, you might hook a monster -- and at that point, the weak areas of any reel will become evident.  Everything needs to be looked at -- especially any alignment and operation issues.  Sounds like it was tumbled around in the salt, sand and rocks -- for awhile.

It is a cheap fix to do it right.  You might contact someone like Dwight (Newell Nut) -- if you want an expert evaluation.  Things to look for after the stress you described would include hairline cracks at the screw holes in the sideplates, and anything that might indicate an issue in the future.

Good, solid, 30-40 pound reels.  Why take a chance on missing teeth? -- that may also require looking at the pinion, etc. -- a little closer.

Just my opinions.

Good luck,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Bryan Young

I personally, concur with Fred's assessment of should be done.  I would do this for my reels as well as my customer's reels.  I would hate for me or my customer to lose a fish of a lifetime due to saving a few bucks.

Alan has the handle nuts available if you need a new one.  If you need that plastic lock washer piece, I think he has that as well.  If not, it's possible to use a bellevile spring washer for additional securement, but should be checked before and after every fishing trip.

Gears, I do have some main gears from Newell and fortunately, they mate up well with Penn's 505/506 pinion gears as an option.

Bryan
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Rickman

Thanks guys. I was hoping for a cheap fix! I'm taking it apart again and looking harder. I was lucky to get it back in the first place.

Bryan Young

From the gear perspective, you may just need a new pinion gear.  Most of the gear ratios for that size of reel is 5:1, and if that is the case, a Penn pinion gear part no. 13-505 at $8.30 may do the trick.  If you are ordering parts from PennParts, and if your reel does not have carbon fiber washers, I would also recommend part 6-309SP at $7.05.  I'm not sure the price of the handle nut.  Other than that you may be good to go.

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Newell Nut

X2 on what Fred said and look on ebay for 220 229 332 338 gear sets used and they all fit. Offer a little over half the asking price on those used parts and he will probably accept the offer. Mike and I have dealt with him a lot. I would replace Gear and Pinion to be on the safe side while they are available.

bluefish69

NEW Newell 5-1 Gear Set runs 65 - 70$ up in NY where I live. JDL is not bad to deal with. I received an order last week. Let me know what you don't get from him.

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Rickman

I just tried to post this but it never came up! Mexico does some strange things with the internet sometimes. Trying again.

I just took the reel apart. The main gear looks the same but now I can see the pinon gear isn't looking happy. I can't remember if the stainless ring that fits on the bottom of the pinon gear is supposed to be separated....at least I can't remember it being separate when opening the reel. I didn't see anything strange on the sideplates but I'm going to check them when it's cleaned up.'I'll get the parts ASAP. I have other reels to use in the meantime. Thanks for the help!
Rick

Bryan Young

The pinion gear ring is supposed to be on the pinion gear.  You can try to shove it back on and hope it stays tight.  This helps the pinion from bending/breaking where it engages the spool.

Rickman

That's what I thought on the pinion gear. It does press back on but I don't trust it anymore.

johndtuttle

I would love to know how long it was before the reel washed up??

I have a go pro camera I found in the sand at the beach below the tide line. It was in the ocean for 2 weeks and had 30 minutes of video with it getting tossed in the surf after the original owner lost it. :)

Rickman

I lost it mid June and it came back to me before hurricane Odile which was mid September. A rough and rocky ride.