Pinta Replica

Started by Newell Nut, March 13, 2015, 10:24:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newell Nut

The now diesel powered replicas are in Daytona and we passed the Pinta on the way to the dock yesterday. Not the way I would want to cross the ocean.

conchydong

The mariners of old had to have some big ____s to sail off into the unknown. Presently reading about Magellan's journey to the Philippines. Unfortunately for him, it would be his final voyage.

Dominick

Quote from: conchydong on March 13, 2015, 11:56:25 AM
The mariners of old had to have some big ____s to sail off into the unknown. Presently reading about Magellan's journey to the Philippines. Unfortunately for him, it would be his final voyage.
Yeah but he started a GPS company.   ;) Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

floating doc

The first time I saw this ship, I was jigging for bait next to a buoy along the Tampa Bay ship channel.

The channel's really narrow there, about 5 miles offshore, and I thought that I was watching real carefully for ship traffic.  This thing got within about 30 yards before I noticed it. Quite a surprise, let me tell you! Small as it is, it looked pretty big from a 17 foot whaler.
Central Florida

theswimmer

Now imagine the real ship with masts at least 20 feet taller and yards at least 25 feet longer.
Probably more......
Coast Guard regs dictate how they can build/operate these ships.
There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn

floating doc

Oh, I didn't realize that's an undersized copy. Couldn't tell on my phone.  Or didn't look closely.  :P

The copy of the Nina that I'm referring to is full size, hand built, and as close to 100% accurate to the original Caravel as possible. She was built in Brazil since there are still shipwrights there using the same tools and techniques.

She closed so quickly on me that day because she was riding an incoming tide, carrying full sail, and running the diesel auxiliary. And yes, she looked pretty big bearing down on me under full sail.
Central Florida

theswimmer

Same foundation operates both ships.

The Nina is a much more accurate replica. She is full size I believe.
The Pinta has many compromises to make her more economical to operate, more user friendly and comfortable.

Here are some links.

https://www.facebook.com/ColumbusShips
http://www.thenina.com/index.html
There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn

broschro

David Hall

I pulled my two oldest grandkids out of school when the Nina was berthed in Santa Cruz harbor a few years ago.  It is actual size replica and I was surprised at how small she is on deck.  It's hard to imagine what it must have been like with the decks packed with people sailing in the dead of winter across the North Atlantic. 
not this kid!