Removing rust discoloration from guide feet?

Started by Bill Karr, March 13, 2015, 03:47:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Karr

I just acquired a used Seeker G6470 at a good price. The rod has light use but has put away wet. There is slight discoloration on the guide feet-not enough to affect function but , if possible, I'd like to clean it up. I am going to start with soap and water, then a Corrosion x soak. May be wasting my time. There is a re-wrap in it's future but any suggestions for now?
Bill

RowdyW

You might try  a cloth soaked with vinegar. Let it lay on there about 15 min. You can also try 4/0 steel wool. If it's chrome CLR works also.     RUDY

Bill Karr

Rowdy,
Thanks for the info. I did the vinegar soak and a toothbrush and the rod looks like new.
Bill

foakes

Bill,

You did not post a pic -- however, for the future -- from your description, likely a small wad of Never Dull wrapped around a QTip or ice cream stick would also make short work of the discoloration -- with no harm to the wrappings, finish, or rod.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Bill Karr

Thanks everyone. As a follow up-
I spaced and instead of vinegar I used ammonia! It worked great and took off almost all of the discoloration. I then followed Fred's suggestion and used a Q Tip and Never Dull and that cleaned up the rest. It's not perfect, but unless you know the background and look close, the rod looks like new.
Thanks to all.
Bill
Bill