349h sideplate

Started by surfcaster, March 14, 2015, 12:54:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

surfcaster

Hi,I am working on another 349 build Was going to make it exactly like my other one but decided to try carving out the sideplate to be able to
access the drag washers & try out different drags without taking the entire reel apart. The eared washers do not clear the stock plate so I used a sanding head on a drill instead of a dremel or step bit to slowly remove the small amount of  material. also bought a "spare plate" to try this out.

[][/]

Took almost an hour fitting but It worked. Tight lines Richie

Keta

Nice! 

Do you know you can use a SS 113H gearsleeve on the 349?  They aren't the same but close enough to work.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

surfcaster

I might try the stainless sleeve out. Thinking of carving my other plate out But ,
it works so good  that i'm almost  afraid to take it apart again.

Keta

Quote from: surfcaster on March 14, 2015, 01:40:42 PM
I might try the stainless sleeve out. Thinking of carving my other plate out But ,
it works so good  that i'm almost  afraid to take it apart again.

349's are one of the easier Penn reels to get back together.  

I wouldn't use a SS AR dog with a brass gear sleeve.  If you want we can cancel your dog order, it's not a special cut as I was out of them and like to have a few in stock.  I can ship the .035" (.89mm) drag washers now.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Alto Mare

Good job on that reel Richie, thanks for showing how its done.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

surfcaster

I have a couple copper dogs,& extra used bridge/sleeve.1 new brass sleeve I could do without the stainless one till you cut more.
 I would like the washers. Thank you Richie          
 Thanks Sal I learned it by watching You.
Someday i should post  the pics of stuff that I have broken trying to "modify" working fishing reels

Keta

Got it, PM me your address.  I USUALY have at least 2 15-349 dogs in stock if/when you upgrade the gear sleeve.  I'm working on special ones with a shorter arm that eliminate the ability of the AR disengaging lever to function on 2 lever 349's.

Mark Twain

Keta

I'll show you mine if you show us yours.... :D  

Newell aluminum spool, 113H SS gear sleeve, SS AR dog, Alan's handle and my handle arm, 505 cross bars and a 7+3 delrin drag stack.

Mark Twain

surfcaster

Ok, heres one thats built, & the one in the making......

[][/img]
After searching for a spool for 5 years The one on the right is done.The left is  work in progress. Thanks to all on this site
for help.

Keta

Finding one piece of unobtainium is hard, two is impossible.   I wish there were more factory width aluminum spools available, and a topless stock width frame would also be nice.

Mark Twain

surfcaster

Saw it & I clicked on "buy it now" before I even read the description.I knew what it was
I Should have played the lottery last weekend.... 

George4741

I've been playing with some 349's for a while and never thought of enlarging the hole.  Nice work, Richie, you are thinking outside of the box.  I see Berinson's no longer has the Newell spool.  If that was you who bought it, then I suppose I should thank you. ;)  It saves me from thinking about buying it.

Lee, nice looking outfit, and very capable, too.  What is the rating of your rod?

George
viurem lliures o morirem

Keta

50#-60#  I fish it 50#.

Mark Twain

surfcaster

Berinsons sold out, been eyeing that one for quite some time.  I tried that one a few weeks ago. thank you Fred & Randy for the spool.
A few days later found another on ebay. I have a white lamiglas  cod jigging rod that the builder or someone painted black? matches up well. the other one has a honey lamiglas rod that I inherited from uncle bud years back when he passed away.

sundancer

Gents

With this thread, and with the weather still not good enough to get out, i screwed up my courage and started to disassemble a perfectly great Reel to better understand this Project. 

It appears that the Plate doesn't allow removal of the Drag Stack from the outside by 'a silly little millimeter', and this modification corrects that.  Am I right so far?

Now..  On my Reel, in order of appearance once the Handle is removed:

Star Drag
2 Belville-type Washers
Spacer Sleeve
2 Honking Big Thick SS Washers
1 Really Thick (some type of) Fiber Washer approx 1/8" thick
Then an Eared Washer

That is where the tour stopped because of the Plate lip.

From the Schematic, something is out of sequence, even though it still seems to work. 

What is this Fiber Washer?  All the Drag Washers I have seen to date are thin.  It would take 3 or 4 of them to equal this Fiber one.

Is there anything I could lose and use the space for Drags and Metal Washers?  Or is that too simple of a question?

Thanks
Steve
Miles to go.....,