Release reels

Started by Afishinado, March 14, 2015, 03:25:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Afishinado

Any one using the fairly new release SG reels?. Don't know much about them . How do they compair with an avet  MXL?

doradoben

Here is a thread about Release reels found on this site.

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=9647.0

Jeri

Hi,

I have been using both reels for quite a while now, originally the MXL M/C, but we had to 'tune' the magnet to get the reel to spin for our casting needs – surf cast. Once done, a superb reel for our needs, awesome casting distances, and as we are not exceeding the design drag pressures, the reel has lasted well, and had none of the pinion bearing issues that other folks experience, when they perhaps exceed the design criteria for the reel. Great reel, the only criticism I would make is the use of imperial size bearing, where the rest of the world has gone metric.

Onto the Release SG, comparable size, the ceramic spool bearings are very fast, and after initially cleaning out the grease fill, and replacing with oil, we found the reel a little too fast for oour surf casting needs, so slowed it down with a combination mix of oil and grease in those bearings – now it is a match and equal of the Avet. Drag capacity is huge for such a small reel, which is perhaps the only serious advantage over the Avet.

Both are my 'go to' reels for our surf casting needs, huge power and the spin like demons. Both equally robust if you don't abuse them, and no complaints about either. At the end of the day it is all down to your specific application. When we first introduced the Avets to the local surf casting scene, some customers were reporting that they were gaining 20-30 metres on their distance, just because of the exceptional free spool nature, but they did need a serious amount of learning to control that spool speed.

Hope that helps.

Cheers from sunny Africa

Jeri