Penn 850ss drag upgrade

Started by TheReelGuy850, March 14, 2015, 07:36:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheReelGuy850

Want to upgrade the Drag on my 850ss.any suggestions?
The Reel Guy
Fishing reel and rod repair service
Panama City, Florida

Newell Nut

Do a search. It is already spelled out clearly here. It is done on a 750 which is the same. Works great too.

Alto Mare

Quote from: TheReelGuy850 on March 14, 2015, 07:36:39 PM
Want to upgrade the Drag on my 850ss.any suggestions?
There are a few, here are the latest and to me the best upgrade

and the numbers I got, but fish that reel at around 20lb

It should feel very smooth for you
I'm not sure you already have one, but in my opinion, this is a must if you're going with the upgrades
https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Parts/52N-750N.aspx

This one will also do good, but you will need the keyed .50mm washers from Bryan and .45mm Carbon Fiber washers.
The octagon washers are stock. The 5 washers upgrades are on the right.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

TheReelGuy850

The Reel Guy
Fishing reel and rod repair service
Panama City, Florida

LTM

Sal,

In the first and third pictures; are the metal washers stock/factory washers? What thickness are the cf drags in the pictures?

Thanx,

Leo

Alto Mare

Quote from: LTM on March 17, 2015, 03:31:31 AM
Sal,

In the first and third pictures; are the metal washers stock/factory washers? What thickness are the cf drags in the pictures?

Thanx,

Leo
First and third picture is the same picture, the red arrow shows the direction of the stack.
The metal washers are stock .75mm in thickness, the Delrin washer ( second from the right ) is 80mm in thickness.
You could replace the Delrin with another carbon fiber washer if you wanted to, I personally like the feel of the drag with it.
The carbon fiber washers are .45mm in thickness.

Please note, on some reels, when replacing the thrust washer for under the spool with a Delrin washer of .031" in thickness (80mm), at times the clicker on the spool will rub on the rotor.
It is a good idea for you to add another .20" ( .50mm) Delrin on top of the .031", or simply keep the stock Teflon for now.
I will try to find the correct size from McMastersCarr.
Sal

I'm unable to locate the needed .047" (1.20mm) Delrin/Acetal washers to replace the Teflon thrust washer.
I know that there are a few guys here that could cut some for us, please let me know if anyone is willing to do so.
Again, for now combining the .031" and the .020" Delrin will do just fine.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

LTM

Bryan Young

Hi Sal,

What washers did I send you?  Was that the size for the 5-60 gear set?  I don't recall.

Thanks,
Bryan
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Alto Mare

Yes, those were meant to be used on the 5-60 gear, squidder, Surfmaster, longbeach and as you see here, i'm sure a fdew others.

It would be a good idea if you would offer kits for these, consisting of:   (2) Octagon metal of .50mm in thickness, (3) keyed metal of the same thickness and (5) carbon fiber washers of .45mm, .50mm should also work.

You could do the same for the 650ss, just change the carbon washers to 6-155, (3) 57-650 and (3) 58-650.
All of the same thickness as above.

Bryan Young

Quote from: Alto Mare on March 17, 2015, 07:58:35 PM
Yes, those were meant to be used on the 5-60 gear, squidder, Surfmaster, longbeach and as you see here, i'm sure a fdew others.

It would be a good idea if you would offer kits for these, consisting of:   (2) Octagon metal of .50mm in thickness, (3) keyed metal of the same thickness and (5) carbon fiber washers of .45mm, .50mm should also work.

You could do the same for the 650ss, just change the carbon washers to 6-155, (3) 57-650 and (3) 58-650.
I'm working on it.  I just got a set of NOS spools and will be designing kits for these reels.  I didn't want to design the kit without having the spools for depth measurements.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Alto Mare

Quote from: Bryan Young on March 17, 2015, 08:05:20 PM
Quote from: Alto Mare on March 17, 2015, 07:58:35 PM

It would be a good idea if you would offer kits for these, consisting of:   (2) Octagon metal of .50mm in thickness, (3) keyed metal of the same thickness and (5) carbon fiber washers of .45mm, .50mm should also work.

I'm working on it.  I just got a set of NOS spools and will be designing kits for these reels.  I didn't want to design the kit without having the spools for depth measurements.
Great!, you could also make some eared washers to replace the Octagon washers and you could share the kits with many many reels.
There was no need for you to wait for the spools, one of the members here sent you a nice 750ss a long time ago.

LTM

Looking forward to these drag kits.

Thanx all involved with this project,

Leo

PS Bryan, after my last PM to you I hope Im on the list.