Albacore Reels

Started by $Bill, March 16, 2015, 02:17:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

$Bill

Can you guys tell me anything about Albacore Reels? I have two of them that need the drags rebuilt. I haven't had any luck finding info online. They don't have model numbers on them. They measure 3" X 3". They are very much like Penn Reels. Would Penn parts work on them? ???
you have to believe in something. I believe I'll go fishing!

MarkT

Pro Gear Albacore Special reels?  Other than that any reel that can fish 25-30# line is an Albacore reel.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

$Bill

The only markings on them is ALBACORE on the right side plate and PERMAMESH on the rod seat.

Big Tim

Does your reel look like this ? Very interesting  ;D I hope the board can en lighten us if this is the reel you are talking about. My best guess is mid/late 1950's as referenced in an ad from 1956.

Tim

$Bill

That's the one! I have two of them. One works pretty well, but the other doesn't have much drag on it.

Keta

You can find Carbontex washers at Smoothdrag that are close and reshape them to work.  If I had a metal washer I could cut a few if you need SS ones.

Here's a link,

http://www.smoothdrag.com/Carbontex_washer_sizes_Retail3-2014.pdf
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

johndtuttle

Internally any older star drag reel is always fundamentally a Penn in basic design. You can use a Senator Tutorial to get all the basic concepts down and apply them to your reel in all likelihood.

The exact size and specifications of parts may be another matter. Crack 'em open and see. Take photos and measurements and we can walk you through what we find. :)

These are very old reels (at least 40-50 years) with the "leather pad" for adding a little extra drag in the end game. You are just gonna hafta take what you can get when it comes with making them operational again.

The one without much drag probably has fatigued belleville washers would be my first guess.

$Bill

Thanks guys. I just realized that I actually have three of them. One has the leather piece and two don't. It doesn't look like they have ever had the leather on them as there are no wear marks.