Fire Engine Red beauty

Started by Newell Nut, March 16, 2015, 03:32:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newell Nut

The one is hot of the drier. Customer requested fire engine red blank with light gold marbled in which matches his company trucks and a 6 foot length to fit the motor home closet. I had a free hand on the rest and it turned out pretty nice.
This one will be topped with the new US made 113 with silver alum frame and black sides.

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Alto Mare

Those are getting better and better my friend. Nice looking rod ;)
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

BMITCH

Nice build Dwight! I see your really honing that skill
luck is the residue of design.

Newell Nut

Thanks guys. Getting ready for yours Sal but I have 30 ahead of you.

Tiddlerbasher

Lovely work Dwight - then it's not really work is it ;)

Tightlines667

Looking good.  I like that foregrip.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Newell Nut

Quote from: Tiddlerbasher on March 16, 2015, 04:29:33 PM
Lovely work Dwight - then it's not really work is it ;)
Yes and No
There is work as far as the time factor and the stress of not messing up an expensive blank. The joy of creativity and happy customers balances that out though. The owner of this rod came by yesterday with his wife and he just sat on the stool and stared while it was rotating and speechless. He finally says that it is too pretty to fish with and had no idea it would be so nice. That is what I really like about doing this and I am just scratching the surface of all the possible things that I can create. The other cool thing is that all these rods are too expensive for me to fish with but for a brief period they are all mine to admire and take pictures of before delivery.

Shark Hunter

Great Work Dwight! She is a beauty.
Life is Good!

Bryan Young

Very Nice Dwight.  I haven't seen the use of those grips for years...like going back in time.

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Newell Nut

They had those grips at the International Custom Rodbuilders Expo a few weeks ago. Mudhole carries them but without the gold stripe. The way they had them displayed on a heavy trolling rod they flex coated the front all the way to the leather. I just went far enough to give me a good seal for the gold alum winding check to keep salt from leaching in.

Newell Nut

The streak is still going. Everyone that has fished one of my customs has caught more fish. Today the Red rod won the $250 jackpot. Not only that Wayde bought a scratch off card this morning and won $500 on that. Weird but true. I have secret MOJO that I spray on each one. ;D

steelfish

beautiful Rod Dwight,

I have a question for you.

what did you used to paint the rod?
Im on the process to change all the guides on a factory made Musky rod and I was thinking to use the exact places were the stock guides were and leaving all the rest of the rod like it is, but since it has few scratches here and there all they are superficials Im thinking to sanding it just lighty and paint it black before wraping the guides again.

what kind of finish you used after it was painted in red?
I keep reading to use normal clearcoat for car bumpers (automotive) is ok when re-wraping a rod.
The Baja Guy