Surf fishing for perch

Started by newport, March 17, 2015, 03:34:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

newport

I went out earlier today to test out my new surf fishing reel, an omoto 4000 wavecaster, and put it on my 10'6" surf rod. I used a two hook rig with bloodworms for bait, and a 3 oz breakaway sinker. It's been slow the first hour and a half with 1 white perch and two undersized striped bass. A couple of kindly gentlemen gave me about 5 perch to my 1, and thanked them for it. I decided to stay longer. Soon enough the bite turned on for the next 2 hours, and got a total of 21 perch for the table. Not a bad way to test out a new reel, which not only casts very well, but feels solid as well.

Bryan Young

Great fishing, and looks like a great relaxing spot.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Alto Mare

Very nice...white perch taste pretty good.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Alto Mare

Quote from: Keta on March 17, 2015, 05:03:13 AM
These are tasty but they don't freeze well.
No fish that I know of freezes well, some are so and so, but never the same as fresh.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Shark Hunter

As much as I like Fish, The wife made some baked Salmon steaks for dinner last night. I did not care for them. I had Salad for my lunch today. That is a Crime!
Guess I should have been quiet. Once I got a couple scales, it was all over for me.
Life is Good!

Keta

Quote from: Shark Hunter on March 17, 2015, 05:32:38 AM
As much as I like Fish, The wife made some baked Salmon steaks for dinner last night. I did not care for them. I had Salad for my lunch today. That is a Crime!
Guess I should have been quiet. Once I got a couple scales, it was all over for me.

Was it farm raised salmon?  Free range salmon is good, farm raised not good.  Humpy (pink) is fair if fresh and properly taken care of, sockeye is extremely good.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

wallacewt

newport

Thanks everyone, it was nice to be out after my 4 month hibernation. Not many people were out so I had plenty of room and quiet. I was fishing the Delaware Bay.

coastal_dan

Very nice!  Which beach on the DE bay?  I hope to be at the Coral Beds next month off of Slaughter Beach...
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

newport

Quote from: coastal_dan on March 17, 2015, 05:50:18 PM
Very nice!  Which beach on the DE bay?  I hope to be at the Coral Beds next month off of Slaughter Beach...
Hi, thanks. I was at Fortescue in NJ. The fish were very active around late afternoon towards evening. I think if you wanted to go out earlier then you might do well over there.