Protecting your Plinthy Pieces...

Started by coastal_dan, March 17, 2015, 01:47:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coastal_dan

Just curious to see how you guys are treating your collector reels while they are being stored whether it be in open air or in a closed box.  My thought is to wipe them down with some CorrosionX on a microfiber towel every few weeks/months.  Keeping chrome nice and shiny can be tricky over time even when not in use...  Let me know what you guys think!
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

Keta

I live in the high desert and just keep them on shelves and in drawers.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

TechTeach

A light coat of Fluid Film. No worries after that.
"Where's that damn dog spring??????"

foakes

A friend of all of ours on this site -- recommended a product that has been extraordinary for my work on reels.

It is called Never Dull Wadding Polish -- by Eagle One.

Has been used by folks for over 70 years.

Available at most automotive parts places in the wax and polish section.

Most of you know that I generally err on the side of caution when recommending products -- after all, I have boxes full of products that have been purchased over the years -- and some work, and some do not do so well.

This works on any type of metal, aluminum, SS, Chrome, copper, brass, steel.  And, we have found out it also works on bakelite, plastic, and any part of a reel from all interior parts to every exterior part.

And it is simple, quick, effective -- with no residue.

Never Dull is so good, at least for me -- and it is so simple -- that it is actually spooky.

From museum quality detail work, to the normal reels we use and display -- it just works -- no drama -- just superior results and protection.

Sideplates, knobs, all metals inside and out -- just rub the impregnated wadding on your reel or part for a minute or two -- then wipe and buff it dry with a micro fiber or soft flannel cloth.  This bings out a shine that your reel did not even have when it was new 50 years ago.  And it stays on -- it does not dissolve back into faded.

Corrosion, rust spots, tarnishing, dulling, loss of color, even grease -- are all simply gone.

Also works well on knives, firearms, cars and trucks, tools.  Don't use it on any items you might be preparing food with.

So I don't start sounding like an advertisement, just try some.  Available at Walmart or Amazon, or your local parts store for around $5 to $8.

Ted (max doubt) needs to do a tutorial on this product -- showing his work.  Thanks, Ted!

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

broadway

Since Ted (Max Doubt) brought this can of cleanliness (Nevr-Dull) into my life my reels have never looked so good. 
No tutorial needed with this stuff... Rip off a small piece and scrub away, then wipe off with microfiber or the like.
If it doesn't remove the staining then it will not come off with anything short of sanding, which we don't do here  8). It will NOT remove green corrosion or set in rust, but anything else is fair game.
It can be used on any and every part of the reel as a stain remover, side plate restorer, or to make that metal bling.
Be forewarned, use gloves and nose plugs cause it's pretty strong, but you can't get a nicer finish when all is said and done.
Let me be clear, there is NOTHING that can clean a reel better... not simple green, mineral spirits, ultrasonics, car polish or anything else you wanna scrub a reel with.
If you ever look at the reels Ted posts, they all look like museum pieces... how do ya think they got that way? ;)
Wanted to let everyone know that this stuff is the reel deal,
Dom

Shark Hunter

Ted really Cherishes his reels. He sent me this pic of the Pot O' Gold under glass with some of the rarest 9/0's in the world.
Life is Good!

coastal_dan

Found the last can at the local auto parts store  ;D

Tonight will be a movie and reel cleaning night, maybe sit down to one of the new Hobbit films...should give me plenty of time to clean, haha.

Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

Wally15

And if you ever need to start a fire - Nevr-Dull is the ticket. Don't know what's in it, but the darn stuff practically explodes when you get a match near it. Must be some ether/starter fluid in there.
It's a rainy day in GA, and I'm bored and playing on the 'puter.
Mike
Sweet dreams and flying machines in pieces on the ground.
"Fire and Rain"
James Taylor

Penn Chronology

Hey, when info was passed on to me, I was told it was a secret! This place is worse than the CIA, all the secrets are out.............. :D

Bryan Young

Quote from: Penn Chronology on March 19, 2015, 04:00:49 PM
Hey, when info was passed on to me, I was told it was a secret! This place is worse than the CIA, all the secrets are out.............. :D
World wide love...  :D  Peace out.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Dominick

Quote from: Penn Chronology on March 19, 2015, 04:00:49 PM
No secret. Years ago I passed a shop in San Francisco (I was still living in NY) that sold copper and brass.  Everything in the shop shined like new.  I had to ask how they kept everything so shiny.  Yep it was Nevr-Dull.  I bought a can from the shop.  The shop owner told me a good part of his income was from selling Nevr-Dull to tourists like me.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

broadway

Dan, you're all set. Have fun making your reels new again. ;)
Mike, we're like wash women here... We can't keep such valuable secrets from our friends. Hey, you could've jept all your knowledge to yourself, but put it in a book for us. ;D
Mike, you ain't kidding!
Dominick, they saw you coming with that Hawaii 5-O shirt :o
...it's no longer a secret, so go get a can and shine those reels up!
Dom

Wally15

Quote from: broadway on March 19, 2015, 05:14:55 PM
Dan, you're all set. Have fun making your reels new again. ;)
Mike, we're like wash women here... We can't keep such valuable secrets from our friends. Hey, you could've jept all your knowledge to yourself, but put it in a book for us. ;D
Mike, you ain't kidding!
Dominick, they saw you coming with that Hawaii 5-O shirt :o
...it's no longer a secret, so go get a can and shine those reels up!
Dom
I figured someone would try that, Dom. I found out the hard way. I was polishing the rails on the boat with Nevr-Dull, and stopped to light a cigarette (yep, I'm a heathen smoker). I about became a Buddhist monk, circa 1968. Fortunately the can was at the other end of the boat.
Mike
Sweet dreams and flying machines in pieces on the ground.
"Fire and Rain"
James Taylor

Dominick

"Go home and get your $#@%^ shine box."  Billy Bats
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Penn Chronology

QuoteGo home and get your $#@%^ shine box."  Billy Bats

My wife and I knew his wife very well. When he disappeared, she never knew what happened to him, he told her he was going to get a pack of smokes and never came home again. Then the movie was released.