Red Snapper Bonanza

Started by Newell Nut, March 17, 2015, 11:10:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newell Nut

Eric from FWC was on the Pastime Princess to collect data and tag fish today. In the first ten minutes I had 4 big endangered nuisance fish over the rail. Caught two more a few minutes later and decided to just toss a jig the rest of the day and let my buddies play with the reds. A lot of the small ones were also caught around the boat. No mangrove snapper yet. Still a little early for those guys and the water is cold too.

rjones

Hopefully the regulations will be loosened on those endangered red snappers.  They sure seem to have made a great recovery.
Rob

Tightlines667

How many tags did he manage to deploy?  Judging by the size of that fish, and the numbers you have been reporting, this catch and release thing (along with the commercial bandit reel landing restrictions) must be having a measurable inpact.

Looks like fun.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Newell Nut

John

I have no idea how many he actually tagged for the day. Other species were included as well. The one in the pic and others of mine did get tags.

BonitaBch

Great job on the snappers Newell Nut.
Bonita Beach, FL

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Rare

Nice big red!  ;D I say they fight harder then muttons lb for lb.

Quote from: rjones on March 17, 2015, 11:40:05 PM
Hopefully the regulations will be loosened on those endangered red snappers.  They sure seem to have made a great recovery.

Judging from the amount we caught last summer when fishing in the dry tortugas, you are correct. Not only from I, but many others friends who has gone out there as well. We were drifting in some areas 60-90 ft and catching never like before and they were 15lb in that mix.

Newell Nut

You are right. Those big one that are 18 lb and up and really tough to get up off the reef. Takes a really strong low gear, power handle, 80 lb line, a meat stick and a really good back. Sal's 6/0 tank would be perfect for the big ones. I use a 631 and when I hook a big one up off the bottom a little I just lay the Hercules rod on the rail and let them bang it until they get tired. The same way I fight a big AJ. A good safe way to hook a big red without getting cut off is to bring the bait up off the bottom about 15 to 20 feet. When the water is fairly clear and they are hungry you will get a hook up. Live vermilions or big sardines are good.

DaBigOno

I gotta make it down to Florida someday soon!   It's on my bucket list...
Ua Mau ke Ea o ka Aina i ka Pono