Does anyone make an offset crank arm for 113h/hlw?

Started by crackerman, March 18, 2015, 03:13:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crackerman

I like this arm a lot
http://m.ebay.com/itm/301048697169
But am not in love by any means enough to buy it with any of the handles it comes with.
I dont like the straight arm, as i feel it puts way too much sideways leverage on the bridge post/sleeve. And after cranking  braid onto the spool, the stock penn arm was slightly tweaked. It was kind of flimsy from the get go.

I like the design of the arms offered on this site by vendors, but dont want a straight one. I prefer alans kolekar grip to the tubular machined ones.

So what i am saying is, i want to buy a stout offset crank handle from anyone for a 113hlw (without a grip, its getting tanked up)
And a grip from alan tani.

Can someone point me in the right direction?

Keta

I tried but my tooling isn't up to it.  What's wrong with the one you linked to?  The price is fair too.  You can always sell or give away the handle and keep the arm. 
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

crackerman

I cant find info on it. Is it stainless or aluminum? I want a quality handle that wont fold like a foil under some juice.
I can tell its most likely aluminum, but i am leary of that, seeing as how its china made. If it was made by accurate or the like i would run it in a heartbeat.

I know it might sound like i am being "cheap" but i want to spend my dollars once.

RowdyW

Hi crackerman, have a look at SB&T site for 24-113M handle. It's from the discontinued 113M reel. Scott's doesn't list them as interchangeable with the 113H or HLW but it is. I have a couple on my JVariance 113H reels.    RUDY

STRIPER LOU

Hey Crackerman, If you check this guys online store you can buy just the handle. I think around $11.00 or so. They are aluminum with and offset and pretty thick. When you order just ask for handle to fit 113h.
I have several, they look good but have not used them yet.
...............Lou

Three se7ens

Stainless ones are on my to-do list. Be a few weeks before they are ready though.

Keta

Quote from: crackerman on March 18, 2015, 04:24:17 PM

I can tell its most likely aluminum....

That's what I thought too.

Quote from: Three se7ens on March 18, 2015, 07:06:57 PM
Stainless ones are on my to-do list. Be a few weeks before they are ready though.

Thanks again Adam.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

crackerman

3sevens, you are gonna be getting some business shortly

I will be needing a crank and an insert/drag stack.

Keta

Mark Twain

crackerman

What i am really waiting for is the stainless bridge/double dog combo. That has me really excited. With that i wont feel bad about actually using the drag available with the insert/or 7 disc drag stack.

day0ne

Quote from: crackerman on March 18, 2015, 03:13:56 PM
I like this arm a lot
http://m.ebay.com/itm/301048697169
But am not in love by any means enough to buy it with any of the handles it comes with.
I dont like the straight arm, as i feel it puts way too much sideways leverage on the bridge post/sleeve. And after cranking  braid onto the spool, the stock penn arm was slightly tweaked. It was kind of flimsy from the get go.

I like the design of the arms offered on this site by vendors, but dont want a straight one. I prefer alans kolekar grip to the tubular machined ones.

So what i am saying is, i want to buy a stout offset crank handle from anyone for a 113hlw (without a grip, its getting tanked up)
And a grip from alan tani.

Can someone point me in the right direction?

You were in the right place. Steven is great to deal with. Try this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fishing-Reel-Handle-Blank-/300903268237?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item460f3b7f8d
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

Three se7ens

Heres the offset crank I made for my 9/0.  Now available for purchase in my online store.  Price is $20 plus shipping for 114H/115 and 116+ sizes.  Ill have 113H ones available in about 2 weeks. 

fIsHsTiiCkS

Quote from: Three se7ens on March 22, 2015, 06:54:04 AM
Heres the offset crank I made for my 9/0.  I still have a few of these handles for the 114H/115L I could bend if anyone is interested.

I am DEFINITELY interested in one for the 115! Let me know!

Keta

Mark Twain

Krabby Patties

Those look cool. Nice job.
I'm no engineer, so correct me if I'm wrong, but offsetting the arm doesn't seem to me that it would take any torque off the gear sleeve or bridge. A shorter arm would. A longer arm would increase it. Attaching the arm closer to the side plate on the gear sleeve would reduce stress. Offsetting it would not help with that unless it were riding on the ring. Wouldn't a four inch arm cause as much stress as a five inch arm bent to four inches when attached to the end of the gear sleeve?