TSI 321 oil

Started by billhaeg, March 19, 2015, 01:44:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

billhaeg

All,
I was wondering what the latest experience is with TSI 321, is it good to use on ceramic hybrid spool bearings?  What about anti reverse roller clutch bearings?  Also, do you think I can use Cal's drag grease as a general lube for gears and all other parts?   I am trying to keep it simple, TSI 321 for all bearings and the level wind and Cal's grease for everything else.  All fresh water fishing low profile bait casters (Daiwa PX-Type R and Tatula)
Thanks for help.

Bill

Bryan Young

TSI on ceramic hybrid bearings will protect the stainless steel ball cages from rusting.  But you are fishing in fresh water, so it's may not be necessary.

I use a blend of TSI321 with CorrosionX (about 4:1) for several reasons.  1) all you need is a micro layer of TSI to bond to the metal and I use CorrosionX as the carrier of TSI321.  2) TSI321 is more expensive than CorrosionX and based on item 1, my supply lasts longer.  3) it's difficult to apply only a micro layer of TSI321 with a drop and the carrier helps spread the solution through the part being lubed.  Once lubed, like bearings, I can blow off the excess.  And yes, I use it on ARBs, line guides and pawls,... without any incidences.

Cal's Universal and Drag Grease if an excellent grease to use throughout your reel.  It does get stiff in the winter cold though.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Tiddlerbasher

Cals for drags - Yamaha marine or evinrude marine for everything except spool bearings (Cals is expensive if used on everything).
TSI321 can be diluted with Corrosion/Reel X or with IPA (isopropyl alcodol 99%) 1 part TSI to 8 or 10 parts IPA.

Tunacious

I use Cal's or Shimano grease on drags and the rest of the reel...Speed-X for the bearings. If you live in a colder climate, I believe Cal's comes in a purple grease for colder weather.

Tiddlerbasher

I've tried both types of Cals - haven't noticed much difference, maybe it doesn't get cold enough in the UK :-\

steelfish

Quote from: Bryan Young on March 19, 2015, 01:52:55 PM
I use a blend of TSI321 with CorrosionX (about 4:1) for several reasons.  1) all you need is a micro layer of TSI to bond to the metal and I use CorrosionX as the carrier of TSI321.  2) TSI321 is more expensive than CorrosionX and based on item 1, my supply lasts longer.

by the order of the words it looks like the mix is 4:1 (tsi321:corrosionX) in that order.
its that right or the mix is  4 parts of corrX to 1 part of tsi321?

The Baja Guy

Bryan Young

reverse that...corrosionX 4:TSI321 1

I only use corrosionX as a carrier of TSI321.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

steelfish

Quote from: Bryan Young on April 22, 2015, 09:10:28 PM
reverse that...corrosionX 4:TSI321 1

I only use corrosionX as a carrier of TSI321.

gotcha.. thanks compadre

The Baja Guy

steelfish

Once lubed, like bearings, I can blow off the excess.

this might sound dumb, but why you blow off the excess of oil?

I mean if its not that messy one or two drops from a niddle point bottle on a bearing.
BTW, Im using the same mix    4:1   corrosionX and tsi 321 mix

The Baja Guy

johndtuttle

Quote from: steelfish on June 06, 2015, 08:21:41 PM
 Once lubed, like bearings, I can blow off the excess.

this might sound dumb, but why you blow off the excess of oil?

I mean if its not that messy one or two drops from a niddle point bottle on a bearing.
BTW, Im using the same mix    4:1   corrosionX and tsi 321 mix

The only dumb question is the one you don't ask ;D.

If you don't blow off the excess then the bearing will do it for you on the first cast. You will find little streaks of it on the spool (not a terrible thing) but it could get into somewhere you may not want it (like a centrifugal cast control).

Blowing off the excess just keeps things tidier.

steelfish

well let me get the idea of ¨blow¨ more clear,  sometimes I got lost in translation

blow excesss = with a duster air can blow on the bearing after two drops of tsi 321
blow excess = take a napkin and gently touch the bearing to the napkin will take the excesive oil that is not going to be use

The Baja Guy

johndtuttle

Quote from: steelfish on June 06, 2015, 08:40:46 PM
well let me get the idea of ¨blow¨ more clear,  sometimes I got lost in translation

blow excesss = with a duster air can blow on the bearing after two drops of tsi 321
blow excess = take a napkin and gently touch the bearing to the napkin will take the excesive oil that is not going to be use

One or the other works fine. Some set them on a napkin to dry, others give a quick squirt of compressed air if they need to get the reel back together quickly.

Dominick

The real answer of too much oil on slowing down a bearing is in a video I saw and a diagram of droplets of oil forming a wedge under the spinning bearing effectively slowing it down.  I'm too lazy right now to look for it on youtube but I bet you can find it there.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

LTM

Steelfish,

With excess oil; whichever way the bearing is orientated, the excess oil will settle to the bottom of the bearing. This excess oil acts as a mini-wave in front of the bottom bearings and thus cause's friction by having to be pushed along.

Leo

steelfish

ok thanks guys, from now on I will put a napkin or a Q-tip on the bearing few seconds after adding the tsi 321 and roll the bearing few times
The Baja Guy