Double Dogged 349H from Australia

Started by Keta, March 19, 2015, 05:39:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keta

Mike has been having computer and weather problems but he has been working on a 349H and I supplied him with some "blank" dogs to use.  He asked me to post some photos of the project in work.  Looking good Mike and I can't wait until you can post photos of the finished job.

The photo below shows a 349H MK VII dog, notice it does not engage the secondary stop and does not have the disengagement arm.  Removing the second stop reduces the handle back travel considerably.  The MK VIII dog uses a 14-500 coil spring.

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

mhc

Thanks for posting the photos Lee & thanks again for the dogs. I have finally got around to installing my old hard drive (and photos) into a new machine.
As you can see, I have double dogged a couple of master mariners following Redsetta's 'monster mariner' build, including the design of the second dog spring. http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=8567.0
The main variation from Justin's build is Lee's mark VII dogs without the tail and a longer second dog. I went for alternating engagement but if you want simultaneous engagement it is just a matter of adjusting the length to suit, as a guide, the stock 349 and 149 dogs are close to the right length for simultaneous (2nd photo in Ketas post).

Modified side plate to accommodate 2nd dog and spring

Redsetta spring design on a trial dog with a docked tail.

Spring in place on the sideplate

Dogs adjusted to length & the 2nd dog filed to clear the ratchet teeth are shown in the first of the photos posted by Keta, and the dogs marked before grinding are shown in the last photo.

A few of the other parts
5+ 1 drag from Dawn (with delrin washer under gear) on the left. I tried a seven stack with 0.5mm carbon and a white acetal on the top but it didn't fit (on the right)

Newell spool and spacer bars for 1 reel, three sevens ss star and handle arm & an Alan T 5/0 grip

The assembled reels, with Alan C (Pro Challenger) SS spacers on the second one. They are not monsters, more like middling mariners.

It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

Alto Mare

Beautiful job on those reels Michael and nice detailed pictures to show it.
Thanks for sharing.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Rothmar2

What Sal said. I would like to do "The Works" to one of these one day.

El Pescador

mhc!

Where o'where did you find the Newell spacer bars & spool????

That's higher on my list than your 349 double dog project  - and PLEASE keep working on it.

Wonder if Tiburon Frame folks would consider making a run of new Tib Frames for the 349??  Anyone out there have their "ear"???

Making coffee and meeting Dominick at 7:30am for a day on San Francisco Bay for Halibut & Striped Bass!  Wish us luck!

Wayne
Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

Keta

Looking good Mike.

Quote from: El Pescador on April 19, 2015, 01:26:07 PM

The bars are Jigmaster 501 bars, the spools are made of 95% unobtanium and are extremely hard to find.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

El Pescador

Lee!

I've put eBay bids on unobtanium, but the newell spool for 349  NEVER.

Check your PM from me, I Have a question for you.

Heading out.

Wayne

Tiddlerbasher

Oh no! Does this mean I've got to take my 349 off the top of the dresser and start working on it ::) Work, work work it never ends ;D

redsetta

Impressive work Michael - thanks for sharing.
The SS spacers and stars look cracker, and the Newell spool is a thing of beauty.
Well done!
Good luck out on the water, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

mhc

Thanks blokes,
Quote from: Rothmar2 on April 19, 2015, 12:20:06 PM
What Sal said. I would like to do "The Works" to one of these one day.
Hi Rothmar2, I know of a bloke that might make you a set of SS rings if you do start on one  ;)

Quote from: El Pescador on April 19, 2015, 01:26:07 PM

I found the spool on ebay a couple of years ago when there seemed to be few more around & as Lee said, the spacer bars are the same as 501/506 bars (and the Wahoo Special 349s are the same bars as the 500/505).

Quote from: Tiddlerbasher on April 19, 2015, 02:40:27 PM
Oh no! Does this mean I've got to take my 349 off the top of the dresser and start working on it ::) Work, work work it never ends ;D
;D ;D ;D

Quote from: redsetta on April 19, 2015, 09:24:33 PM
The SS spacers and stars look cracker, and the Newell spool is a thing of beauty.

Your Monster Mariner is not too shabby either Justin

funhog

Lee,
I got a surprise envelope in the mail from you ( a couple weeks back ). Three "Dogs" for my 3-349's.
Thank you so much ! I plan on doing the conversions in the next week or so. Too much business travel at the moment. The Yellowtail bite here in So. Cal. is calling loudly!
Thanks again

Keta

Quote from: Tiddlerbasher on April 19, 2015, 02:40:27 PM

For a long time I jumped on any 349 I found for parts (I got 2 fair ones for $8.00 for the pair) and I have 10 that I'm slowly bring back to "working condition".  Spools that are not warped by mono are the hardest part to find, undamaged rings and bearings are also not that common.

Quote from: funhog on April 20, 2015, 03:03:32 PM
Lee,
I got a surprise envelope in the mail from you ( a couple weeks back ). Three "Dogs" for my 3-349's.
Thank you so much ! I plan on doing the conversions in the next week or so. Too much business travel at the moment. The Yellowtail bite here in So. Cal. is calling loudly!
Thanks again

I sent my last ones out last week and need to cut more.  On the reels I fish with I'm using a modified dog and on double lever ones I loan out I've eliminated the dog disengagement leg and eccentric arm.  I'll try to post a photo.

Mark Twain

El Pescador

Hey all you alantani.com kids, do you want some good news????

I emailed the good folks at Tiburon Engineering, re: the 349H Tib Frame and here is their response:

"Hi Wayne,

We made 349 frames about 20 years ago. If we were to make them again we would need to make new tooling and programs as the old tooling has been discarded. To make it worth while for another run I would need a minimum order of 35 pieces. I could also make spools if that is of interest. The cost would be a little higher than say our 6/0 narrow kits since we would need to make the new tooling, etc. 6/0 narrow kits are $200.00 for frame and spool. A 349 frame only would be about $125.00 in the minimum order quantities. If the total order quantity reached over 70 pieces that cost cold go down closer to $100.00.
By the way we made 2 versions of the frame. The standard 349 frame and a wider frame which we called the Wahoo Special. We can make different widths combined in the minimum order.

So put the word out and if we received enough pre-orders for this product we would consider making another run.

Rich Duncan"

I'm in for ONE!!! Who else wants one????

Wayne

Keta

Right now 1/2 of one but I know how to come up with another $100 for a stock width 349 frame and spool.  I'd go with a 114HN if I wanted another Wahoo Special.

Mark Twain

mhc

I am interested in one frame at least and maybe a spool - a stainless spool for wire would be good.